Thirty-Three

My mum and I meet up once in a while for one-on-one mother-son time but since Lyanna and I have been dating, I've cancelled our plans on more than one occasion, which really hasn't gone down that well with Mum

My mum and I meet up once in a while for one-on-one mother-son time but since Lyanna and I have been dating, I've cancelled our plans on more than one occasion, which really hasn't gone down that well with Mum. When she rang last night to ask, with a great sigh, if we were still on for today, I hurriedly said, "Of course we are!" It was quickly followed by me turning to Lyanna and saying, "Babe, I need to cancel our date tomorrow."

Lyanna, as ever, was gracious and said it was fine, although she did make me promise to buy her a Galaxy chocolate bar as a proper apology. I told her I'd buy her two bars, a bottle of wine and a DVD for us to watch. I would have suggested Netflix but she's already threatened me with the whole 'no Netflix and chill for you' lecture. I wasn't entirely sure what movie I'd get so I'd have to wing it in Tesco later on my way home. Well, not home. To Lyanna's home. My home is in the opposite direction but geography isn't important right now. 

Where was I?

Right, Mum. She loves afternoon tea and always makes me take her to the Corinthia. Which, ordinarily, would be fine but since I technically forgot about this months' outing, I haven't booked us a table and well, it's too late to do so now. Instead, I have decided that I'm going to cook for her. Again, this would be fine but we all know that I can't make scones and I'm far more likely to burn my kitchen down than concoct three or four different types of sweet treats, like cake or tarts. 

"Hi, Charlotte, it's Mick," I rush to say down the phone once Isaac's wife picks up my call. "So, I'm in dire need of a favour and you're just the person to help a guy out. So, basically, I need some sandwiches and pastries for afternoon tea with Mum and I need some that I can pass off as my own. Do you have any deformed pastries I can get from the shop?"

Silence greeted followed by, "Are you for real? Arnaud is a perfectionist. As if he's have deformed pasties. God, no. Why don't you take your mum to LPP and I'll have them host you in the small room? You can have afternoon tea but Nate could also teach you to make the things you eat. Afternoon tea and a master class with one of the best pâtissier in London, what's better than that, huh?"

"You know, Charlotte," I smile as I speak. "I knew there was a reason I loved you so much."

"Calm your horses, Mick," Charlotte laughs. "I'm happily married to your best friend and currently quite pregnant. Oh, by the way, could you pass on a message to Lyanna, please? In November, it's the Courtenay Foundation Ball and this year, she will be invited. Sophie's already talking about going dress hunting and of course, Lyanna's invited. Please beg her to come with me so I don't have to be left on my own with Soph. Also in November, it's my baby shower. Sophie's planning that, too, and Lyanna has to be there."