Twenty-Nine

"You have a good eye for design, I'll give you that," I comment as I scrutinise Logan Leahy's latest addition to a project I was overseeing

"You have a good eye for design, I'll give you that," I comment as I scrutinise Logan Leahy's latest addition to a project I was overseeing. Just as Michael had said, Logan's aesthetic was similar to mine, however, there were subtle nuances to my work that Logan had yet to pick up on but give him time, and under my tutoring, he'll soon rise up the ranks at W8 Designs. After he graduates, of course. In the meantime, I reach for my Sharpie and make notes on his work. Circling a few things that I wasn't sure of, I scribble a note, asking him to either rationalise his decision or to outright change it. When I was done, I hand the work back to Logan and smile encouragingly. "Take on board the notes, ok? Remember, not every critique is critical. Good job, Logan."

He tilted his head to the side and stared blankly at me. "You're not as scary as those people over at Saunders & Taylor."

"I'm not," I agree. "But Andie is."

His face pales as he slowly gets up from the chair and backs out of my office. Logan quickly surveys the area before scuttling off to his new office, which was, until last week, a cupboard. I stifle a laugh at how Logan tiptoes around the Managing Partner, turning mid-stride and practically running in the direction, or weaving into my office if she was trying to corner him. The problem is, Andie knows he's running from her and has turned it into a game, something that I'm going to have to shut down after today's all-staff meeting. 

Being a small team at W8, we had all grown close since the business started and our monthly staff meeting was an opportunity for everyone to meet and get to know each other better. As each month goes by, we're going to do a feature on each staff member and today, we were going to pick the next member, having featured Shon Talbert last month. Also on the agenda was an update on the project Clark Reiss had us working on. 

To say that the man was ambitious was an understatement, considering he had just acquired a grand, Grade II listed building that was in total need of renovation. Located in East London, when I went with him to visit the old munitions factory, it looked promising. From the front, at least. The second I walked through the door, all hope vanished. The inside was a disaster zone, ceilings caving in, walls falling down, windows were broken all over the joint, and that's without considering that the rear of the property was bombed during the Blitz and hasn't been rebuilt since early 1941. This wasn't ambitious at all. It was insane.