Chapter Eight

___________________________________

                   E I G H T
___________________________________

"There is no elevator to success — you have to take the stairs."

—Anonymous
___________________________________

The time had arrived for the reception and showing up were all the guests of the court. While the Queen sat head of the table, Alessandra took her seat to the right of the Queen. Tonight the people paid their tributes to the family of the royals. They would each give a bow of respect before they took their seats to join in the gathering dinner. 

With each passing servant, guest, and family, Alessandra fought the tears as she reminisced in the moments where her father sat there himself.

She had learned how to be distant but still love. From her mother she learned to love and hold dear the things you cherish most. She knew that without both of their ways, she wouldn't be who she is. Having learned strength in both areas, she guarded herself for the truth that she would forever be alone.

Her mother cried in the crypt as she knew she had lost her companion. Love brought pain and Alessandra was only pained by the love she had for those whom she touched and suffered a death, and the pain of loving a mother who had to hide her own daughter from the world. 

Shaking away her negative thoughts, she knew that her people were watching her. Hoping she could be strong, not a weak woman who cries instead of sucking it up and being a Queen. The glances of different sets of eyes landed on her, she felt the guilt rising in her belly but she resisted it. If she had only married or confessed her curse then her ending would be far less tragic than this.

Her father—an innocent man, husband, and the King—would still be alive and she would be in his place.

“Are you okay, my precious one?” Alessandra snapped back to attention as her mother laid a hand on her daughter knee. She had been thinking so heavily she had not paid attention to the plates brought before her, or the fact that others around her were already eating.

Had she really zoned out while everyone sat here watching, would she be considered weak for allowing her thoughts to deter her from eating?

“Yes, Mother. Forgive me. I have much on my mind."

"Are you positive you are alright?" Elizabeth voiced her concern and held her daughter’s gaze. Elizabeth looked sorrowful. She hurt worse than Alessandra did, and it made no difference if the king and her self had grown distant when he was alive.

She had still fallen in love with him; they went through so much until Alessandra came along. She didn’t blame Alessandra though, she blamed herself because it was through her own self-pity and greed that all of this came to happen.  

"Absolutely, Mother. Please let us continue to feast on The King's favorite dishes while we honor his presence." Alessandra had spoken the last part more towards the people who had taken ears to her and Elizabeth’s conversation. 

Everyone ate in silence, until the food was mostly gone, and everyone had paid respects when the group of guards paced through the dining hall and didn’t stop until they stood before the Queen. At her side more or less.

When everyone was done and there weren’t any more tributes to be paid to the King, Alessandra and Elizabeth were allowed to rise and mingle and the first person who found the Princess was Prince Daniel. She smiled, but there was nothing behind the endearment. She felt so hollow that she carried on with the rest of the reception completely out of her mind.