Chapter Thirty-Two

“Winnie, come here.” Hades whispered. Alessandra was still sleeping and morning had already come and gone. Now it was the middle of the afternoon. Hades was surprised to pop into the room to find Winnie sitting in the chair she drug to the side of the bed to watch over Alessandra. He expected her to be awake and even feared the idea that death claimed her in the middle of the night, but Winnie would’ve detected that and no doubt call for him.

While he was away, he went to Olympus to question Zeus, but his brother didn’t know what happened. However, Zeus was angered to find out that what he feared had come to life. Alessandra was in danger the longer the stayed down here as a human, Hades had to do something to lull her to the idea of becoming a demi-god.

And he knew exactly how.

Winnie tiptoed to the door where both of them stepped out. She hadn’t heard anything since he left, but she got a visit from Lady Ryes with some fresh cooked food, but it’d gone cold now because Alessandra hadn’t woken up. It started to alarm her at first, but then she remembered the toll that the water from the sea of souls must have taken on her. She didn’t want to disturb Alessandra. “Hades, you’re back. Did you find anything?”

“No. We can talk about that later. How is Alessandra?” Every thought that he had was filled with images of Alessandra. He remembered every inch of her and committed her touch to memory for occasions where they were apart. He’d been grateful that she woke up willing to be near him and not resentful. He felt that it was partially his fault for leaving her so soon after they’d finally spent quality time together.

He never wanted to leave her side again.

Winnie caught him gazing at her through the slim crack of the door and smiled. She’d never seen so much passion in him since his previous Queen. “She called for you throughout the night.”

“She did?”

Nodding, Winnie said, “I tried to be of some comfort, but she’s been restless since.” It was true. In the hours that Winnie sat beside her bed, Alessandra would have random episodes where she called for Hades until she’d fall into a deep sleep again. Winnie was worried that it was the water from the sea of souls that’d somehow taken her back to those illusions, but Alessandra didn’t lash out or seem afraid.

“Thank you for looking after her, Winnie.” He couldn’t be far from her anymore. “I will take it from here.”

Winnie stepped back to curtsy. Though she didn’t want to, she couldn’t disobey a direct dismissal. “Yes, I am pleased to be of use.”

Before he stepped into Alessandra’s room, he looked over his shoulder. “And Winnie?”

“Yes?”

“Forgive me for raising my voice at you.” It wasn’t a proud moment of his as he let his temper get the better of him. He valued Winnie more than she knew it. He needed to make sure she knew that. “I—”

She curtsied again until her knees touched the floor and kept her head bowed when she said, “I understand. Take care of her.”

“You know how much you mean to me, don’t you?”

That statement caused her to look up and their eyes met. Winnie could see the truth in his endless blue gaze. “I do.”

He smiled, touching the tips of his fingers to the side of her face. “I will send word if I need you.”

“Thank you, Lord Hades.” Winnie rose and skipped down the hall in high spirits, waiting for the time when he’d need her again.

Closing the door behind him, Hades walked quietly towards her bed. As he did, he unlaced his boots so that he could crawl into bed. Alessandra instantly sought him. Unconsciously she scooted closer to him until he had to tuck her under his arm and she lied on his chest.