Chapter Twenty-Seven

“Winnie, I think I saw something—someone.” Alessandra couldn’t stop hearing the voice in her mind. It was almost as if the entity were following her around.

She couldn’t eat or even engage in a conversation with Winnie or Hypnos who’d been trying their best to keep her busy. Hades ordered them to keep an eye on her and she didn’t appreciate being micromanaged, but who was she to overpower a God that could make things appear out of nowhere? Hypnos would think of something spontaneously and it would appear before him in a second.

Alessandra was too preoccupied with the voice to notice or react to it. Alessa . . . Only one person called her that—Hades. But his wasn’t the voice that came to mind when she recalled it. She knew for sure that’d been her father, James.

Winnie paused. She was preparing the bed for Alessandra to sleep in, but she knew something had been troubling the lady of the house. Alessandra was acting strange, and Winnie couldn’t help but feel that it had to do with being exposed to the Underworld. “What do you mean?”

Alessandra shook her head. She didn’t know how to explain it to herself let alone to someone else. “I don’t know, I just . . . I didn’t see anyone per se. I heard him—my father.” She finally admitted.

Winnie guided her to sit on the edge of the bed. “Where did you hear your father exactly?”

“The Sea of Souls, as Hades and I were leaving—”

“Les, listen to me,” Winnie said, “do not believe anything you hear down there. It is a trick. Those souls feed off the desire of the one that is vulnerable. They will do anything to live again. They need a soul to bind to and a body to possess. It is dangerous to go underground. I can’t believe Hades took you.”

“I’m glad he did. I wanted to see it.” Alessandra said. “But you’re right. I’m sorry.”

“I just want you to be safe.” Winnie reached for her hand. She couldn’t image anything happening to Alessandra or something happening to her soul. She would be tarnished and stuck in a place she couldn’t get of.

“I know. Thank you.”

Winnie stood as Alessandra prepared to lie down. “Are you comfortable? I can bring you more blankets if you—”

“No, I’m fine.”

Still, Winnie made sure she was comfortably tucked in. When Alessandra was snuggled into the sheets, she fluffed her pillow. “I’ll be outside if you need me.”

Alessandra caught her hand before she could leave. “Winnie, actually, can you stay? I don’t want to be alone.”

Surprised by the request, Winnie consented. She hadn’t spent the night with Alessandra before because she assumed that she’d want her privacy while she slept. She was perfectly fine with sitting outside of her room like she’d done many nights before but maybe being in the Underworld made her fearful. “Of course, I can pull up a seat—”

“No, I was hoping you’d share the bed with me.” Alessandra asked, hopeful.

“Um . . .” That was new.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to. I just didn’t want to be alone tonight.” In truth, she missed being close to someone and she wasn’t yet used to the prospect of being able to touch another person yet. It felt like it would all go away soon and she’d be cursed again if she didn’t enjoy the luxury she had.

“If it is what my lady wishes then I shall oblige.” Winnie answered.

“Thank you.”

Winnie excused herself to go to her room where she changed into her nightgown. She hadn’t been able to sleep in her bed lately because she’d been serving Alessandra frequently. It was nice not to be wearing a corset or a dress and she could wear her hair loose. When she came back, Alessandra was in the same that she was when she left, but this time the other side of the bed was ready for her.