Chapter Twenty-Nine

Alessandra . . .

It was the same after before. Voices and more voices talking to her at once. She relived the life she thought she wanted until it crumbled in disaster and then it would start all over again.

Darkness has consumed her. It was the finally stage of her pretend world before she started it all over again. She knew who were the voices that spoke, but she refused to give them her time.

That’s what they wanted. They wanted to see her break down like she always did, but she was starting to lose count of the how many times she relived her fake life.

She couldn't see anything, and all she could feel was the cold of the air around her. There was a slight breeze but she felt like she was swimming in it. Reaching out and feeling nothing, Alessandra didn't know what to do. Her first instinct was to call for help and like many times before, she did.

"Hades!" She cried out.

No response.

"Hades!"

Nothing.

What was she suppose to do if she couldn't see or move? She knew she wasn't in her old bedchambers in Evyon as she wasn't lying down. There was nothing in particular below her feet because it was only darkness.

Alessandra, come and see.

There were many voices that spoke. None of which she could properly decipher. They buzzed wildly around her, vibrating her chest with fear. Unable to see, she feared moving. All she could feel was the ice-cold chill that hung around her; the ice-cold touch that seeped down into her bones.

Come and see! The heavy voice echoed above the rest who continued to chant her name.

"Hades!” Alessandra called out once more. Her body began to shake as she was overcome with a sense of loss as she had no one to aid her. She had no idea what was happening, and she had no idea where she was. Lost in the darkness, Alessandra tried to take one step at a time.

The darkness never seemed to end.

You will feel our pain. The voices hissed out all around her. Engulfing her with their chants.

Frozen, she spied the body of the familiar people in her life affected by the curse she tried to protect them from. She couldn't move and all she could see now were the images of her father, her mother, Mary, Greer, Daniel, they all swarmed around her reaching out to touch her with their fleshless hands.

Alessandra screamed.

Hades rushed to her side.

She’d begun to convulse again, this time thrashing as if she were fighting someone to get away. He heard his name every so often, but he couldn’t reach her like he wanted to. He wanted to tell her that it would be okay, but alas, he couldn’t.

“Do something.” Winnie pleaded. She hadn’t left Alessandra’s side either. She sobbed all night, pleading with Hades to forgive her. Even though he told her repeatedly that it was fine and Alessandra would be okay, she still apologized whenever she could. “Someone is hurting her.”

“I. Can’t.” Hades said through gritted teeth. “She ingested the water and she will not wake until it is out of her system.”

“Hades—”

“Do you not know how I feel?” He interrupted. “She can’t hear me, or you, or anyone else. She has to wake on her own.”

Winnie’s gaze landed on Alessandra’s body as she continued to fight and plead for help. Alessandra was safe in bed and yet they couldn’t reach her to tell her that she would be okay. Winnie couldn’t help her, therefore she felt utterly useless. “I can’t keep watching this.”