Chapter Nineteen

“For someone who is suicidal, she is kind of cute.” Hypnos, the God of Sleep, was mesmerized by the woman lying on the table in a comatose state. Alessandra, Hades had called her. The twinkle in his eyes as he watched his best friend speak about her suggested that he was infatuated with the human, therefore, Hypnos was more eager to meet her.

“Hypnos, don’t be rude!” Winnie chided. She’d moved briskly around the small confines of the infirmary ward to get Morton all of the supplies that he asked for as he worked tirelessly on the back of Alessandra’s head.

Hypnos peered over the physician’s shoulder to closely examine the damage. There was no mistaking the blood rushing out of the wound in her skull. She hit her head pretty hard and that would’ve killed her within minutes had Hades left her. “At least I gave her a compliment.”

“Still, it doesn’t make what you said any better.” Morton said. He was cleaning the gash and shaved around the wound to be able to see it without her hair being an obstacle. He was prepping her for the stitches he would have to apply to keep the wound from bleeding any longer. “Winnie, needle and thread, please.”

Winnie was the perfect assistant. She knew what needed to be done with Morton having to go the extra mile to do it. She’d already started sterilizing the needle and right when he asked for it, it was ready to be used. She passed it to him carefully with the thread connected to it.

Hypnos watched in wonder because he’d never experienced the same attention on himself. He was a God, of course. Mortal wounds were foreign to him as was seeing his own blood. Morton felt the God of Sleep’s breath racing down his back and he looked over his shoulder. “Could you give me some space, please?”

“Oh, right, sorry.” Hypnos took a step back.

As Morton applied pressure to the skin, Alessandra moaned, drawing their attention. If she was beginning to wake up then she’ll definitely feel the pain that will come. Morton looked at Hypnos because surely he was here for a reason.

“She’s in pain.” Morton said.

“Well she did hit her head . . .” Hypnos stated matter-of-factly.

Before Morton could do it, Winnie slapped his arm. “Hypnos!”

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry.” Hypnos said, rolling his eyes. He took a seat in the stool parked at the corner of the room and crossed his arms. They were no fun, but he’ll find Gemma later to keep him company.

Morton sighed. “Help her, I need to finish these stitches.”

“Fine.” He rose from the stool, remembering that he was there as a request from Hades who’d popped into Olympus seeking nectar. Hades sent him down here so fast; he didn’t have time to ask questions.

“Where’s Hades?”

“Recharging,” Hypnos answered. “He’ll be back soon.”

Morton moved out of the way for Hypnos. Alessandra began to squirm, tears leaked out of the corner of her eyes her moans turned into whimpers. She was beginning to wake. Hypnos placed a hand on her forehead and closed his eyes, encouraging his power to pass through her. There was warmth where his hand touched her skin and then she became still.

“That should keep her asleep for a while.” Hypnos said when he was done.

“Thank you, Hyp.” Winnie said.

He nodded to Winnie. “No problem, if you need anything else, you know how to reach me.” He winked at her before he disappeared.

Seconds later, he appeared in front of Gemma, finding her reading a book in Greek. He’d seen her read it before, but he hadn’t felt the need to comment about it until now. “How many times are you going to read that book?”