Chapter Thirty Eight

"When will you come back home?"

Home.

Hades liked the sound of that, especially coming from Alessa. Home hadn't felt the same since he'd been robbed of his happiness, but somehow he was sparred and given a new reason to call his realm home. Alessa was a gift he would treasure until the ends of time because he had no intention of letting history repeat itself. He and Persephone were given a second chance.

"I will be back soon. Replenishment does not take long." He informed her. Zeus kept their source of energy tucked safely in Olympus away from those that might try to retain the powers of a god for them self. Hades understood the reason for keeping it in the one place he didn't like to visit very often, but in certain instances like right now where he had to leave Alessa did it pose as an inconvenience.

Alessa wanted to ask him more questions because she was truly curious and yet she secretly wanted him to stay, but the longer he did, the weaker he was becoming. He stumbled a little on his feet when he transported them into the manor and tried to pretend like nothing had happened, but Alessa knew. She was no fool and saw how overexertion had started to take a toll on him. "Just come back to me, but take care of yourself first."

"I will." He promised, cupping her face in between his hands to plant a loving kiss on her lips.

She responded in kind, succumbing to the memory lingering with the contact between them from only moments ago when they were lying naked in bed together. She couldn't wait for him to return. She felt empty when he broke the kiss, but she knew he had to go. Stepping away, their hands remained linked until the distance pulled them apart and she walking up the stairs to her bedroom. Was it still hers? Or would she have a new bedroom that she shared with Hades? Those were questions that would have to wait until later.

"I see she is well." Gemma said by way of greeting as she emerged from the library and walked into the foyer where Hades previously stood with Alessa.

"All thanks to you." He knew of Gemma's hand in saving Alessa from the Sea of Souls. Cerberus pulled her out, but Gemma helped to expel the water that'd gotten into her mouth. Although it wasn't a lot and she still fell victim to it's hallucinogenic properties, she still emerged from unconsciousness just fine.

He hadn't stopped looking at the space that Alessa occupied and wished for her to turn around and come back. Secretly he hoped she'd come running down the steps and into his arms, but he knew better. He couldn't be greedy with his time because that'd make him sloppy with his work and he needed to be clearheaded.

"You've had your fun," Gemma said, "now take her back."

That started a headache that Hades didn't want to tarnish his good mood. "I'm not getting into this with you. I need to go to Olympus."

Gemma hooked her hand on his elbow to stop him. "One wrong turn and she would've unleashed dark forces in this realm. You know what lurks down there. That girl shouldn't have left the manor in the middle of the night. She's irresponsible, reckless—"

"Don't." Hades hissed, quieting Gemma's protest. "I don't want to hear it. Her father's soul escaped and lured her down there and you want to blame her for that misfortune?"

Gemma stared in horror as his pupils began to dilate until it swallowed up the blue in his eyes. "I am only trying to remind you that—"

"I have declared my love for her and soon she will become Queen of the Underworld." Hades said.

Gemma removed her hand as if his skin was made of fire and she was burned. "You did what?" She exclaimed.

She glared at the god of the Underworld with a fierce eye. She knew that he had a fascination with the human woman, but she never expected it to be serious—much less everlasting. Not after she nearly died from the Sea of Souls. She was sure that Alessa's chances of staying any further were done.