Chapter Thirty Nine

“Father.”

“Athena,”

Zeus loosened a tight breath that he hadn’t realized he’d been holding until the Goddess of Wisdom appeared before him. Athena had been born from his mind and harbored a special talent for imparting wise words that’d earned her title. He hadn’t remembered calling on the others yet, but somehow his conscious reached out to her. She knew that he needed her now being that their minds were linked indefinitely.

And she was a sight to behold.

Zeus rose from his throne, peering at his beloved daughter with all the love in the world, but there hadn’t been a time where she disappointed him. He always counted on her council more than the others and she’d never failed him. Perhaps that’d been why he’d called on her first because he knew her opinion would differ from the other Gods and Goddesses that would be coming soon.

“What ails you?” Athena asked, her voice light and full of knowledge.

“Oh, my Athena,” He started, resting the side of his cheek on the crown of her head. “I have missed you, you don’t visit often.”

She pulled back to look the ruler of Olympus in the eye. They’d nearly been the same height, but different in features. Though she’d been born from only his mind, and with no mother, she somehow inherited dark brown hair and forest green eyes. “There are many that are in need of my power, my help, Father. I can not abandon them in their time of need.”

Zeus smiled, pride swelled in his chest at his daughter’s determination to spread the love that she nurtured for all humans. He’d watch her from the mirror in the center of the room, as he’d done for all of his children, and witness the hope she spread that brought fortune to even the poorest soul. They worshipped her, admired her, and even built statues in her name with impeccable likeness to her image.

“I can’t say that I am upset about that.” Zeus replied then sighed. Though she was here, it was hard to be entirely cheerful about it. He had something on his mind.

“What is wrong, Father?” Athena questioned, guiding him to the steps leading up to the platform where his and Hera’s throne was.

They both took a seat on the steps side by side before he continued. “I am worried for Hades.”

“Is he well?”

“Yes, of course.” Zeus quickly assured. Athena also had a big heart that wouldn’t hesitate to do everything she could in her power to see to it that another was all right. “I feared for him when Persephone passed away.”

“As did I.” Athena admitted. “He closed the doors to his realm to prevent anyone from seeing him. I did not think he would ever heal.”

“Neither did I.” Zeus agreed. He clasped Athena’s hand in his and brought their joined hands to his chest. “I don’t think I would’ve lived if anything were to happen to you.”

That earned a smile from her and she leaned into him. “And I to you, Father.”

“He has found another that he wishes to make his Queen.” Zeus said. He’d felt indifferent to the decision that his brother made, knowing that he couldn’t influence Hades’ mind once it was already made up. But Zeus had a feeling that this girl was special somehow because he knew that his brother was no fool to randomly pluck a human and add her to the ranks of a Goddess.

“Who is she?”

Zeus recalled the information that Hades had been willing to tell him about her. Hades had been watching the woman ever since she was born and he’d only decided until recently to tell Zeus about her. “A princess from the human realm in the kingdom of Evyon.”