Chapter Thirty-One

"Winnie wants to see you."

He knew she didn't leave even when she was told to. Right outside the doors to Alessandra's room, she waited patiently for Hades' command. Winnie loved Alessandra so much already in the short amount of time that they've known each other. He couldn't blame her; Alessandra had the same effect on him too.

For her safety, Hades thought it would be best that Alessandra stay in bed a little while longer. After all, she just woke up and there was no telling what other side effect that she could possibly have. She relaxed against the mountain of pillows that Hades conjured out of nowhere. He was adamant that she remained comfortable for the rest of the day.

"I want to see her as well." She didn't want to admit it, but she was exhausted. She didn't know why considering she'd been asleep for over a day according to Hades.

"You don't have to see her right now." After her bath, Alessandra could barely step out of the tub. Hades had to pick her up and put her in bed himself.

He remembered Zeus' warning and he tried not to believe it, but maybe her time spent in the Underworld was taking a toll on her and falling into the sea only sped up the process. And yet he couldn't see any alarming signs other than her exhaustion, which had been imminent by the way she sagged against the pillows and her eyes glazed over.

He'd hoped she'd decline seeing Winnie until she had enough sleep. Sleep was the last thing Alessandra wanted. She was afraid that if she closed her eyes then she'd wake up and be in Evyon again, reliving that deranged fantasy that she thought she wanted.

"No, I want to." She tried adding a little more fervor in her tone. Out of every person she'd met in the Underworld, Winnie had been true. She never left her side or done anything without Alessandra's permission and understood the times when she wanted to be alone. Winnie never pried or tried too hard to be inclusive.

As long as Alessandra stayed in bed then it should be fine. Hopefully Winnie would see how tired she was and leave of her own volition. "Very well. Please, rest."

When she nodded, he made sure she was tucked in before he walked towards the door. As he guessed, Winnie was sitting against the wall, her legs curled up to her chest. She sprang to her feet when Hades appeared. "Is she okay?"

"She's fine." He replied, cracking the door open enough to still see Alessandra lying in bed. Her eyes were closed and for a second he considered giving her the sleep that she needed, but he knew that Winnie would want to be in her room to watch over her. "She just had a bath and now she's in bed."

Winnie nodded to herself. "Are you going to stay with her?"

"When I come back." He said. He needed to do some investigation and commune with Hypnos and Gemma. He hadn't had a chance to talk to Gemma, especially about what happened. "Right now she wants to see you."

"Hades . . ." She started, pausing to collect her thoughts. "What happened to her . . ." She lowered her head, covering her mouth too late because a sob escaped her lips. "I didn't know she'd leave . . . I fell asleep . . . I could've stopped-"

Hades enveloped her in his arms before she could trouble herself to finish her sentence. "It's okay." He cooed. "She's okay now, that's all that matters."

Winnie dug her face in his shirt to stifle the cries that continued. She didn't want to be too loud and Hades didn't complain as her tears dampened his shirt. "You have to find out how. Gemma said that Alessandra said it was her father, but how-"

"I'm going to find out. Stay with Alessa until I get back." Taking one last glance at the woman peacefully sleeping in her bed, he released Winnie and started down the hall towards the stairway.