Chapter Twelve

___________________________________

                  T W E L V E
___________________________________

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."

–William Shakespeare

___________________________________

“Oh, my God.” Elizabeth lost her balance.

“Your Grace,” Thomas shot forward in time to catch her before she fell.

Elizabeth had momentarily lost consciousness because the news was unfortunate. It was too soon, she thought. She didn’t want to leave her daughter. She had so many more milestones to witness her daughter achieve.

“Are you all right?” Thomas asked, helping the Queen to her sitting area.

“I think I need to be alone, Lord Gaylen.” Elizabeth said.

“Of course, shall I fetch one of your ladies?”

“No, I will be fine. Thank you, Lord Gaylen. You may go.” She needed to be alone right now.

Thomas understood and bowed before he made his exit, leaving the Queen in the solace of her bedchamber. She didn’t want to be alone, she wanted Alessandra to be with her, but she couldn’t involve her daughter. Had someone already told her about Elizabeth’s verdict?

Elizabeth rose from her seat on shaky legs. She couldn’t be still at a time like this. She needed to think. She had family on the outskirts of Evyon that she could send Alessandra to, but how long would her daughter live in peace before she forced back into the palace. The more Elizabeth paced, the more frantic she became.

"You'll make tracks on the floor with all your pacing." Hades' chuckled and when she turned to meet his gaze, she took note that the hooded and masked figure stood with his shoulder prompt against the wall.

Oh no, she thought. He could’ve been here to collect her.

"Hades, it's been a while. Not long enough it seems." She frowned at the figure. She hadn’t seen him since the night Alessandra was born, but she felt him. She knew he was always lurking from afar, but he never interacted with them.

“I missed you, too.” Hades said. "That was a brave thing you did for Alessa, but irresponsible. The King could’ve died without you trying to speed up the process. Perhaps you should have asked me to do the dirty work so you could have lived a little longer.”

“His death would’ve been on her conscious.” Elizabeth defended her decision to protect her daughter because she would never regret it. “She would’ve been too guilty.”

“You should’ve covered up your tracks better.” Hades walked to the Queen’s sitting area. He fumbled with the fuzz on the chair before he took a seat.

“I could’ve.” Elizabeth agreed. “Or maybe I wanted to get caught.”

“Did you?”

She shrugged. “That’s still to be determined.”

Hades chuckled. “I made a good choice with you—with her.”

“Why? What do you want with my daughter?”

“That’s none of your concern, Elizabeth.” He’d been tired of people asking that question. It shouldn’t be anyone’s business what he does. Couldn’t they just leave him be?

“You are cruel. How do I know that you won’t have your way with her?” Elizabeth asked.

“I would never.” Hades replied. He didn’t have to tell her, but he felt the need to explain himself. He needed Alessandra; he deserved happiness in his miserable life.