Chosen One and Prophecies: Legacy Chosen One

This Chosen One is basically chosen based on blood aka family. Now the Legacy Chosen One is that protagonist that normally falls under the "True King" trope. And that trope is basically what it is the true king, magical items may or may not be involved. The other is normally reincarnation of some kind. 

(Major Spoilers in some)

One example is that of the story of King Arthur of Britannia. He pulls a fancy sword out of a stone and is named king.  This is also includes the "Only the Chosen may Wield." trope, where there's some fancy magical item (9 times out of 10 it's a fancy sword). Now there are some drawbacks due to many factors, one being that the magical item only works with direct descendants, that can include illegitimate children, uncles, and any blood relative.  

Another example of the Legacy subtrope True King is The Lion King. Simba is to be king, but you all know that song and dance, Scar tries to kill him, Simba hides out and sing about not having any worries, while everything falls apart in his absence. It's when he finally returns that everything goes back to normal. Another example of this is in The Lord of the Rings, with Aragorn. He wants nothing to do with being king, but after some encouragement he finally does become King.And there was also a prophecy involving a broken oath, some ghosties, and Legolas killing an elephant the size of the White House. 

One of my favorite Legacy Chosen Ones is Desmond Miles, our protagonist for the first....five ...Assassin's Creed games : Assassin's Creed, Assassin's Creed II, Brotherhood, Revelation, and III. He relives the memories of his ancestors to find Pieces of Eden ( what everyone called the artifacts of the Isu[basically what many viewed as gods such as Juno, Hephaestus,etc.] that could be used to either save or destroy the world, depending on who you ask [AKA the Assassins or Templars]) Now in the end he dies, we find our he has a son, and that there are others who are not only descendants of Human-Isu hybrids but also of the first two...Adam and Eve...and interesting spin on religion and history. He was chosen due to his DNA and who his family was: two of the greatest Mentors of the Brotherhood, a Templar, a badass pirate, and a equally badass Native American Assassin...whose father is a Templar. 

The reincarnation part is most popular in the anime styled cartoon Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra. The avatar ( whether they're male or female) is reborn in a cycle that goes as the follow( though it may not be correct) :water, earth, fire, air. Now Aang, the avatar in The Last Airbender, spent a good chunk of the series trying to either avoid his duties, mastering all four elements ( plus that energy bending) or trying not to get killed( more so that last on than anything) At first he didn't want to be the avatar because he's 12 and most 12 year olds are going through that awkward phase of life called puberty. He disappears for 100 years( more or less) to find the Fire Nation basically took over a good chunk of the world and many people died because of it. He fulfills his destiny, dies and Korra takes over.

Now the Chosen Ones in this category normally either are okay with what is thrown at them or they question if they are even worthy or somewhere in the middle.In any case, the stories of past heroes is deeply meaningful and can justify the relevance of and reverence for the chosen within the context of the fictional world they exist. This is especially true with Aang:he was gone for over 100 years, and the moment he returns he find out the people he cared about are dead. He starts to doubt whether or not he was worthy of the title of Avatar but slowly overcame this. Even Korra, his next incarnation, doubted herself, and that led to her losing her bending ( albeit temporarily) and when she almost got killed, she doubted herself even more to the point she pulled an Aang, only to overcome it as well. But again...she almost got killed. 

This one gets annoying but when written well enough can be amazing. One story I read  had an orphan as the protagonist, who was in fact a descendant of this badass who saved their kingdom, it was really cool and the name escapes me at the moment.