World Building: In General

Oh there is so many topics to cover when one world build, but let's just cover the basics and go from there.

So what is world building?World building is the process of constructing an imaginary world, sometimes associated with a whole fictional universe, normally in the science fiction or fantasy genre .The resulting world may be called a constructed world. Developing an imaginary setting with coherent qualities such as a history, geography, and ecology is a key task for many science fiction or fantasy writers. World building often involves the creation of maps, a backstory, and people for the world. Constructed worlds can enrich the backstory and history of fictional works, and it is not uncommon for authors to revise their constructed worlds while completing its associated work. Constructed worlds can be created for personal amusement and mental exercise, or for specific creative endeavors such as novels, video games, or role-playing games.

How does one world build? Well....I'm not all that sure. I mean looking at a lot of fantasy worlds it's easy to say that it's based off of a culture. Looking at Avatar: The Last Airbender, a lot of the world is based off of Asian, Native American( mostly those in the north), and some Oceanic cultures when looking at the different nations, even each of the elements have different fighting styles when it comes to the regions. Naruto could easily be a basic D&D world with different region. You got forests, mountain region, deserts, so on and so forth. Each village has their own unique clothing and traditions, even how one becomes Kage in their village is different. With the Sand the title is inherited, with the Leaf you basically have to go before a committee, etc.  

Marvel did a pretty go job when creating Wakanda and the Black Panther Series, drawing inspiration from varies regions, cultural groups, and historical moments in Africa. In fact, the kingdom of Ghana ( now present day Mauritania, Senegal, and Mali) , better known as Wagadu, was the man inspiration. Once a year they had an event where you may go before the king and challenge a dispute and how the king decided to resolve it. If that doesn't sound like the event where you may challenge the king for both the throne and the mantle of Black Panther, which is pretty cool. 
So how do you world build? World building can be designed from the top down or the bottom up, or by a combination of these approaches. The official world building guidelines for Dungeons and Dragons refer to these terms as "outside-in" and "inside-out", respectively.In the top-down approach, the designer first creates a general overview of the world, determining broad characteristics such as the world's inhabitants, technology level, major geographic features, climate, and history. From there, they develop the rest of the world in increasing detail. This approach might involve creation of the world's basics, followed by levels such as continents, civilizations, nations, cities, and towns. A world constructed from the top down tends to be well-integrated, with individual components fitting together appropriately. It can, however, require considerable work before enough detail is completed for the setting to be useful, such as in the setting of a story.

With the bottom-up approach, the designer focuses on a small part of the world needed for his or her purposes. This location is given considerable detail, such as local geography, culture, social structure, government, politics, commerce, and history. Prominent local individuals may be described, including their relationships to each other. The surrounding areas are then described in a lower level of detail, with description growing more general with increasing distance from the initial location. The designer can subsequently enhance the description of other areas in the world. This approach provides for almost immediate applicability of the setting, with details pertinent to a certain story or situation. The approach can yield a world plagued with inconsistencies, however. By combining the top-down and bottom-up approaches, a designer can enjoy the benefits of both. This is very hard to accomplish, however, because the need to start from both sides creates twice as much work, which may delay the desired product.

Now I'll cover other stuff like inhabitants, magic systems, how the cosmos are set up,etc. in later chapter, so this is just to help people get started. Like start off with what you know. Look at JRR Tolkien's works. A lot of stuff is based on Norse mythos and what he experienced.