Everyone is Gay

This is a level of tokenism I will give the side eye...and I'm bi. 

WARNING...I'm going to be talking about some pretty sensitive stuff. So if I offend you in any way, please be civil about. 

So you know how there are stories where everyone is part of the LGBTQ+ community and every time a straight person shows up their either extremely homophobic and racist or is that stereotypical "ally" that will say a back handed comment. Like there isn't even an explaination for it like "this is mostly an LGBTQ+ comminity" or whatever. 

I don't necessarily like this because I find it to be piss poor writing. However, and I will get to this, we can make it work. When everyone is gay or bi, or whatever, and that's the main part everyone focuses on, it's not really....go back to the first sentence of this paragraph. Now I will admit it's a change of pace...when done correctly. This is mostlyy found either in fanfiction or some modern media. It's a bit much and people have the right to be upset. Why? Because that's the main thing writers tend to focus on. I explained in an earlier chapter( don't ask me which one) how I hate this. There is a difference between a gay character and a character who just so happen to be gay. Please learn this and go about your day. 

Now let me explain why I don't like this trope. I don't find it unrealistic, it's just when their sexuality or gender identity is the main thing.No personality to be found. Cool, Jerry's gay...what else? What does he do for a living? Does Jerry prefer jazz or metal? How did he come to Big City, was he born here? What's his hobby? I understand we want some representation, but there is a right way and a wrong way and I believe the wrong way is when you make a character a lesbian and do nothing else in terms of writing. You can actually write this and them being LGBTQ+ is not the main focus. No one has to die, which is a trope/ cliche all on it's own. 
Law and Order: Special Victim Unit had a few storyline where the victim or suspect is gay, so a good portion of the people they meet are part of the LGBTQ+ community. How it's written is like this person was a lesbian but is a good mom and is currently coparenting with their sperm donor and owns a bakery. They were attacked by another kid from the same donor because the kid was getting the attention they deserve, blah blah, objections, fade to black. You get the picture. Write it like...so you want everyone to be LGBTQ+? What's the setting? How did they all meet? Is there some sort of tyrantical government in place? What are everyone's job? What were their home life like? Actually write this stuff out, because being gay is part of who you are, not the only thing. It shapes one's experiences.