Interracial Relationships

So this is both a trope and somewhat of a cliche (due to the couple almost always being African American and white). Now I'm not saying they're bad, but most of the time they are badly written and filled with the Forbidden Romance trope, which I probably should have done before this but oh well. 
Now this is ignoring the interspecies relationship trope because that goes into some pretty messed up stuff. Writing interracial couple is hard enough it is because it's often fetishized in most media. And some of the writings that do feature an interracial relationship is the main focus of all the drama, which introduces a lot of subtropes to this. And it's not just race, it sometimes feature religion as well. 

One example of this ( that is somewhat well written) is from a book I read years ago in high school here on Wattpad, but has since been taken down for the author deleted their account. One of the characters was Vietnamese and the other one was Pakistani. It was a good read, because the drama that ensures from two different people from two different cultures wasn't the focus of the story, but was instead a subplot to the government trying to bring back some questionable practices and basically turn the country from a democratic monarchy to a full blown dictatorship...still upset that it's deleted. 

Now there are cases of Faux Interracial Relationships, this is where one party believes that the person they are with is another race, when in reality they are the same race. This often happens by accident in some cases where one of the characters was raised in a home of a different ethnicity. The most common one I found so far is when a character is raised by Native American.

The best example I could think of that is perfectly written is that of Aang and Katara. It was developed and was the subplot. I can not stress this enough. If the relationship is part of a romance plot that is the focus of the storyline then go full force, but when the main plot is trying to survive an all out war, then something gotta give.