Promises

Chapter 26

"Maria, can we talk?" Harry asks putting down his journal.

I shift from my posotion to look at him better and nod.

"Well you know you gave Jack my number..." I nod furrowing my eyebrows, "Well he doesn't stop texting me..."

"Give me your phone," I say extending my hand for him to put his phone there.

"No," he says looking over at the table in front of the bed. I look over there and see the phone. I catch the phone before Harry can even move.

"Maria, give me my phone," he says and I shut the bedroom door behind me and lock it. Thank the Lord for these kind of doors, the ones that lock from the outside. I hear Harry pounding on the door and I ignore him.

I turn on the phone and there's a passcode. I think about it and put my name in. I smirk in success.

I look for Jack's number and call him. It only took three rings to get him to pick up.

"Finally you decide to call me. I tought-" I cut him off.

"I know you're not my brother," I say.

I hear him sigh and say 'crap'. "Fine, I'm not your brother but I need you to come alone to talk to me."

"And why would I do that?" I say sitting on the couch.

"You love Harry, right?" I stay quiet. "I wonder how would you feel, if Harry gets terribly hurt."

"Don't you dare touch Harry," I say angrily.

"Why not? It'll be fun."

"Watch it, don't cross the line," I say gripping the couch so hard I think I'm beggining to rip it.

"Fine, I'll leave your presious little Harry alone, but you have to to meet me tomorrow in the alley you used to live in at midnight."

"Okay, but only...only if you leave Harry out of this," I say hanging up and throwing Harry's phone on the love seat next to me.

I put my head in my hands and start crying.

I don't desirve this.

Well, if you left this wouldn't have happend and Harry wouldn't be in danger.

Shut up. Harry isn't in danger because I'll protect him, I'll always protect my family.

Well you didn't do a great job at that with your real family.

I shut my mind off and groan in frustration.

"I'm coming you know," I hear Harry's voice from my side.

I look up slowly and see Harry sitting beside me with a warm smile.

"No," I say and he shakes his head in disagreement.

"No!" I spat,  "They'll hurt you. They know you're my weakness and they'll go for you first," I say with gritted teeth.

Harry wraps his arms around me and kisses my temple.

"Maria, we're in this together. I love you and I wouldn't mind dying for you," he says softly, looking into my eyes a if looking for as little bit of life.

"I love you too, but I'm not sacrificing you for my safety!" I say grabbing his face with both or my hands. "If you want to protect me, Harry, you need to let me protect you too, please." I say softly "I need to protect you..." he wipes a tear off of my face, that I didn't notice was coming down, "I need to do this alone."

"No, I'm coming with you. Please, I don't want to lose you, not again." he says tears forming in his eyes. No, no, no, no, no, no.

"Please don't cry..." I whisper wiping some tears out of his face. "You can come," he looks up smiling. "But you have to promise me you'll stay hidden. Promise me," I whisper kissing his forehead.

"I promise."