Chapter 1.

I was walking in a long dark corridor, my footsteps echoing and deafening my ears. There was no one in sight. The marbled corridor seemed to stretch itself more and more as I walked forward. The only source of light was a tube on the ceiling. The walls on either side were thick, old and there were writings over them. I could not make out what it was nor could I stop by and say hello. I kept on walking straight not knowing what I was looking for, but whatever it was, it was crucial I find it.

Suddenly, I felt a quick movement behind me. I stopped and shivered. The air around me turned cold and touched me with its damp fingers. Another sound came after that. Not of footsteps, but of a huge gust of wind. Then, I was greeted by whispers. Whatever the whispers said, I couldn't make any of it out. I decided to take an another step. I walked forward and quite suddenly the floor started shaking. The next thing I knew, the floor was breaking apart. There was nothing under the floor except darkness. It was a strange feeling as I started falling downwards. I tried to scream but I couldn't. I was falling down and down.

"Aargh!" I groaned as I hit my head hard on the wooden floor.

I opened my eyes and sat up, rubbing my left arm. I looked around and was relieved to see I was still in the shop. Just a dream.

"About time!" I heard a familiar  voice and looked up at the person saying it. In front of me stood a nineteen year old girl with short blonde hair. She was holding the sides of her black skirt which she wore with an off-white top.

"What's up?" I asked her rubbing my head. It still hurt. "Oh I don't know" she replied with a frown, "I just gave a girl a task to do; which was to sew the ribbons on the hat and here she is snoring on the table so loud the whole Market Chipping could hear."

I grinned at her.

"Oh yeah sorry, Lettie" I said as she pulled me up "I will do it now."

"You better do it," she said turning away towards the door.

She stopped at the door and looked back at me.

She asked "you are sweating all over. Did you had a bad dream?"

"Nope" I lied.

Lettie gave me an expression of 'you look like you saw a ghost' and walked away. I waited for her to go downstairs then sank in the chair and sighed. Stupid dream.

I stared out of the window and like always, I admired the view from the hat shop. It showed the railway station and in a distance, the Waste full of witches and wizards. I had been staying in the hat shop with Lettie since like forever. It was my home.

I did have a family but their house was far away from Market Chipping. As far as I remembered, the last time I visited them was like six months ago. Lettie and I were sisters. She was the only member of my family who lived with me.

Lettie ran a bakery shop popular throughout the town but nowadays she had come to join me at the hat shop. She was doing a good business. Lettie loved cleaning and doing everything on time. She was kind of strict but at the same time, cute. I often helped her in the shop. She had a great deal of customers each day.

I turned to the hat which rested untouched on the table. There was also an open book lying on the table. It was the one I was reading earlier before I drifted to sleep. It was the story of a girl who was captured and was now escaping. I closed the book shut and put it aside. I picked up a needle and a thread. I lifted the hat and examined it. It was red coloured.

"I suppose pink will suit you" I told it as I pulled out a pink ribbon from the bundle and started sewing it to the hat.

While I was at it, I recalled my dream. Dark corridor was the only thing I remembered. The dream often stopped by in my head. I couldn't make any sense out of it. It won't come true, I reassured myself. After all why would I ever be in a corridor and anyways, there was no such place near Market Chipping. But I was still unsure.