Chapter 14.

"Hey (Y/N)" I heard Markl's uneasy voice.

"Mhmm" I asked, my chin resting on my palm, my arm crooked over the table, as I stared outside the window, deep in thought.

"You don't have to worry about Master Howl, you know" he comforted me "sometimes Master would go for days but he always comes back."

"Thanks Mark" I said smiling.

But he always comes back, Markl's words zoomed in my mind. Will he?

It had been three days since Howl disappeared and things had not been any good. The city was almost destroyed and we couldn't leave the castle. Even though Howl chose to fight freely, the king's agents were looking for us and the only hope we had against them was Calcifer.

"Hey Cal" I said one evening "I want to know about your and Howl's bargain."

"Nope, can't tell" Calcifer apologized.

"Okay just give me a hint" I pleaded.

"Well" Calcifer said "ok wait. Think of the most precious thing to you. That thing is what the bargain was about."

This was a really hard task. There were many things precious to me. I told Calcifer this.

"Fine then think of something you can't bear to lose" he suggested. I thought harder. What was that something I couldn't bear to lose?

"Howl!" I said after two minutes. "I knew you were in love" Calcifer teased.

"Stop that!" I snapped, feeling sad to think about losing Howl. Howl was the most precious thing to me.

"Okay so it is a bargain about something related to Howl" Calcifer said "I can say no more than that."

I was very confused and thought about it. Then it finally struck me. After all those weeks at the castle, I finally realized the truth.

"Calcifer" I whispered "you-you have Howl's heart."

Before I could get a reply, Calcifer's flame blew up and he screamed in pain.

"Clacifer what's wrong?!" I asked terrified. But Calcifer was out of control and screaming non stop.

"What's wrong!" Markl asked hurrying downstairs.

"It's- it's Howl" Calcifer choked "the witch, the Witch of the Waste has got him!"

"What!" I cried.

"Howl is in danger" Markl said.

"Where does the Witch live?" I asked.

"Don't even think about it, (Y/N)" Calcifer said who had now calmed down a little "I promised Howl to protect you."

"Please Cal" I begged "if something happens to Howl... I won't be able to live without him. Tell me where the Witch lives."

"Fine..." Calcifer said "I am a demon so promises don't mind. Go north from the garden. You'll soon reach they Witch's castle."
**

For half an hour, I ran north towards the garden Howl had gifted me. I was exhausted but I wanted to reach Howl before it was toolate. In a distance, I saw towers soaring up the sky. The Witch's Castle. I now felt weak and scared. My pace slowed down as I gained up on the grand castle gates. Without hesitation, I slowly opened them which made a loud noise like machinery. Afraid a guard would come around, I hurried inside.

I found myself walking in a long dark corridor my footsteps echoing and deafening my ears. There was no one in sight. The marbled corridor seemed to stretch itself more and more as I walked forward. The only source of light was a tube on the ceiling. The walls on either side were thick, old and there were writings over them. I could not make out what it was nor could I stop by. I was scared to death and wanted to hurry up. Somehow all of this seemed very familiar. I kept on walking straight knowing Howl was nearby. I could feel it. Suddenly I felt a quick movement behind me. I stopped and shivered. The air around me turned cold and touched me with its damp fingers. Then there was another sound. Not of footsteps but of a huge gust of wind. Then I was greeted by whispers. Whatever the whispers said, I couldn't make any of it out. I decided to take an another step. I walked forward and quite suddenly the floor started shaking. The next thing I knew was the floor breaking apart. There was nothing under the floor except darkness. It was a strange feeling as I started falling downwards. I tried to scream but I couldn't. I was falling down and down. I finally realized where I had seen all this before.

In my dream...

Votes? Comments?