Chapter 22

Knock knock knock!

   I woke up to the sound of knocking on the door. "Hello in there!" I heard Ashton shout from the other side of the door. I got up and rubbed my eyes before I went to open the door. "You sleep like a deaf person, you know that" he said with a scowl on his face.

    "Good morning to you too" I said sarcastically. "Whatever, there's somebody at the door for you" he said to me and walked away to his room across the hall.

    I went to my bathroom and washed my face and brushed my teeth before taming he birds nest in my head and went down to the door. I wonder who it could be. Nobody knows I stay here.

    I open the door and see a mail man standing there with a brown box in his hand. "Good morning miss. Are you Miranda Burke?" he asked. "Yes, how can I help you" I asked. "Please sign here" he said and handed me a sheet of paper on a clipboard. I signed he package and went inside.

     I ripped off the brown paper and saw a letter.

Happy Birthday Miranda. I hope you enjoy your special day. Along with these gifts you can also go shopping tomorrow if you like and also get some stuff for Lilly as well with the card I gave you and also inside is your first weeks pay for babysitting. I really appreciate, I can't stop saying that. Happy birthday again.

                              Love Samantha XoXo

   I smiled and opened the box wrapped in sparkly paper. Inside was a $1000 gift card from Sephora and a new white IPhone X. My eyes popped open wide when I saw a little white envelope marked pay and the amount that was inside. It was $1500! Wow, she was really loaded.  Who on earth pays that much for one week of babysitting? It wasn't even a full week yet.

      I took the phone from the box and set it up. I put Sarah's phone number in it, since I knew it by heart. So far that was the only number in it. I dialled her number and after three rings she answered.

   "Hello?" she asked. "Hey Sarah, are you feeling any better?" I asked. "Yes I am, who am I speaking with?" she asked, sounding confused. "It's Mrs. Potato Head" I answered her with a small chuckle. She laughed as well and said "Miranda, what's up. Who's phone is this?" she asked. "Mine" I said.

    "What, I'm coming over soon. See you soon" she said and hung up.

    I went to the kitchen and saw a shirtless Ashton making breakfast. He was making pancake batter and some eggs were in the pot. I stood in the doorway watching him because he didn't notice me as yet. Or so I thought.

    "Like what you see?" he asks. I blushed a bit but answered saying "Yes I do like what I see, I love pancakes". He laughed and continued doing what he was doing, not paying any attention to me. "Could I have some?" I asked hopefully.

     "I guess, I'm making enough for all of us" he told me. I nodded although he can't see me and left and went up to my room. I put the phone on the night stand and went into my bathroom to take a shower.

    I washed my hair and scrubbed my body with the lavender body wash and shampoo. I loved the smell of lavender.

     I went back inside my room and saw Sarah sitting on my bed with my phone in her hand. "Hey" I said to her and she brought her attention to me. "Oh hey, Ashton let me in. I went through the trouble of downloading a couple songs for you and I also took an awesome picture and set it as my contact" she said as she showed me the phone.

    The picture was cute, I had to admit. I went to my closet and got my outfit ready. It was a pair of black skinny jeans, a white off shoulder crop top and my black ankle boots. Sarah helped me to curl my hair as I told her about my gifts from Samantha.

      "She seems really nice. What are we gonna do later?" she asked me. "I don't know, I have Lilly to take care of" I told her. "Couldn't Ashton watch her for today?" she asked hopefully. "I don't know I'll have to ask" I said as I got my phone and book bag and went downstairs. I put my phone on the small table by the door along with my book bag and went into the kitchen.

     He was doing some dishes when I entered but I saw that there was a plate of pancakes and eggs on the counter top. "Thanks" I said to his back and he grunted as a response.

      I went to make myself a cup of coffee and as he turned to see me his eyes twinkled. A small smile came to his lips and he said "You look, um nice?" in am unsure way. "Thank you Ashton" I said as I moved around him and got the coffee from the pantry.

     "Hey, do you think you could watch Lilly for me later today please? I wanna go out for my birthday." I asked, using the birthday card on him.

    "I don't have any plans so I guess" he said running a hand through his hair which resulted in his muscles being flexed. I blushed and quickly turned away from him. "Ok great" I said and started to have my breakfast.

     Sarah was seated in the living area this whole time, waiting for me to be finished. "By the way, where is Lilly. I haven't seen her all morning" I asked him before he left the kitchen. "She left for school already" he said and left the kitchen without another word.

   I ate by myself in silence. Some people made a big fuss over turning 18 but I didn't feel different than I did any other day. Oh well, I'm finally 18. Great!

*****************

Please Comment, Vote and Follow....

Lots of love 💏
~A