Chapter 39

The loud cheers could be heard on the field from here inside the locker room. We were all clad in our uniforms and sat around listening to the coach.

   "Now girls, give it all you got, and do your best. No matter what just have fun and keep relaxed" she told us. "Yes coach" we all said simultaneously.

    She smiled at us then said "See you on the field in 15". "Mira, how you feeling?" Sarah asked me, sitting beside me ok the bench. I took a sip from my water bottle and went to put it into my duffel bag when something white caught my eye.

   It was a small plush teddy bear. Awwww, how did this get here? I smiled at it and hugged it close to me, thinking that it was Ashton. "I'm good, now" I said, looking at the small button eyes of the teddy. "That's cute, where'd you get it?" Sarah asked.

  "I'm assuming its Ashton, but I'll have to ask to be sure" I told her. "Come on, let's do stretches" I called out to everyone.

   Fifteen minutes later and we were running on to the field. The crowd grew wild, mostly because we were playing on home fields. We did a few more stretches and I scanned the crowds. Sadly I didn't see Ashton or Lilly.

     The game began and I got busy. Sarah passed me the ball and I ran across the field, passing the ball to a girl named Jess. She ran across the field smoothly as if she was gliding. I positioned myself to receive the ball and as I got it I effortlessly shot it into the goal, gaining us a point.

     I was immediately grabbed into a hug by alot of the girls, I didnt even get the chance to see who. The crowd railed and my grin was wide.

    The whistle blew and the game started up again. A girl from the opposing team had the ball, she passed it to her team mate and she tried to score a goal but our goal keeper caught it.

   I feel pumped. By halftime, we were still at 1 while the other team hadn't scored yet.

   I walked over to the bench to get a Gatorade from the cooler, all the while my eyes were scanning the bleachers. Not once did I spot Ashton. My mood dampened, he told me that he was gonna be here.

    The whistle blew again, signalling the end of halftime. As I was heading back onto the field I had to pass by the cheerleaders. Julie stuck her foot out and I tripped over it, falling over, not gracefully I might add.

    Not alot of people saw but Sarah gave her a death glare as she pulled me from the floor. Julie shrugged nonchalantly and skipped over to the other side happily.

    When the game started, instead of kicking the ball to another player I gave the ball a kick with all I had and it went sailing over to Julie, hitting her over the back of her head, sending her crashing into the cooler.

     The whole field saw what took place and bursted out into laughter. I had an accomplished look on my face and I heard coach shout out "Burke!"

    I shrugged my shoulders and made my way over to her. "What was that?" she asked. I didnt answer, instead I looked down to the ground and stared at my feet. The referee blew a whistle and coach sighed telling me to not let it happen again.

    This time around I kicked the ball over to a girl named Stacy and she ran across the field with the ball.

    I looked over to see a paramedic examining Julie but I caught her eyes. She glared at me and I noticed the prominent bump that formed on her forehead and the blackish purplish bruise forming above her eyes. I blew her a kiss then returned my attention to the game.

     30 minutes down the line we were at 4, with me scoring two goals, Stacy scoring one and Jess scoring the other. The opposing team was at 2.

    We had the ball back and forth across the field with us taking the ball from them and them doing the same to us. With 35 seconds left in the match I had the ball but I was at the opposite end of the field. I saw the time counting down on the big screen and as it counted down from 10 I kicked the ball with all I had, like i did to Julie and it went sailing.

   Everything seemed to be going in slow motion as I watched the ball fly over all the players heads. Their goal keeper jumped up to catch the ball but it flew through her hands and went crashing into the net. A loud buzzer sounded and I couldn't believe I made the shot.

   The crowd went crazy, I couldn't hear my ears. Bodies slammed into mine and hugged me tight. I was laughing uncontrollably and I felt the crowd parting slightly and I felt something between my legs before my body was lifted into the air.

   I opened my eyes in surprise and looked down to see a head of soft black hair and muscly shoulders. He looked up and I met the eyes of Ashton. He smiled widely at me then looked to everyone else who stood around cheering, joining them.

   My grin got even wider, complimented by a warm blush. I'm glad nobody could see it. After all the cheering I was lowered and I looked up into his eyes. He pulled me close and I welcomed his hug.

    I felt small hands wrap around my feet and I looked down to see Lilly. "Mira, you were great out there" she said. I squatted to her level and hugged her. "Thanks Lilly pad" I said, ruffling her hair. "Did you like my gift, I thought it would bring you luck" she said shyly.

   "Awww, you put that there. Thanks alot Lil, I really needed it" I said, hugging her again. I stood back up to face Ashton. He was smiling at how I got along with Lilly. "I have something I wanna give to you" he said. He dipped into his pocket and came out with a necklace. It was made of shiny silver and it had a heart pendant with a diamond core.

    My eyes widened at it. "Wow" I said, grasping it and taking in the beauty of the necklace. "Turn around" he said and I followed his order. I tilted my head to the side so my ponytail wouldnt be in the way and I caught a glimpse of Julie looking at us. She was practically fuming by this.

   I felt the cold metal touch my skin and I straighten my head. I turned back around and he pulled the scrunchie from my hair, allowing it to ripple along my back. "Congrats Mira" he said looking into my eyes. "Thank you Ashy Poo" I teased. "Stop calling me that" he said, sighing over dramatically making me laugh out.

   His eyes glistened and his smile widened. As I calmed down he pulled me closer and his lips met mine.

Oh what a night!

******************

Hey everybody, thanks for all your support. Please continue to comment, vote and share with your friends.

See you next chapter 😉
~A🌸