SEVEN: CHILDREN AND POLITICS

I don't own Harry Potter, I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

Blaise was the last to be sorted and sat on the other side of Theo. At the head table Dumbledore rose and McGonagall tapped her spoon on her glass to get everyone's attention.

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch {signals to ragged old man with a cat with red eyes} has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you. I have just a few more words and then we can all eat," Dumbledore waited a moment before continuing. "Nitwit, blubber, oddment, and tweak," and with that he flourished his hands and the feast appeared.

Harry was having difficulties eating dinner. It seemed that all the sweets and cakes were surrounding him and not a single item of nutrition. Each time he spotted something he wanted and went to reach for it, it seemingly disappeared or changed into something else. Finally he sighed exasperated.

'Hogwarts?' he called in his head.

'Yes dear?' Hogwarts asked. Harry got the distinct feeling she was laughing at him.

'Can you rein in the house elves? I'd like to eat something substantial.' He asked.

'Sure Little One. What would you like to eat?' She asked him amusement tinging her words in his mind.

'A Thai or spice grilled chicken breast with, rice, and steamed vegetables please, and tell them for dessert I'd just like a bowl of sliced fruit and iced mint tea' he thought back. 'And maybe you could tell them that I'll talk to them in the morning about my meal plan and what I will and will not eat?'

'Sure Dear One,' Hogwarts said before once more fading away as Harry's preferred meal popped onto his plate.

"Thank-you," Harry said quietly ignoring the looks he got from his new classmates. Soon enough dinner was finished and the Slytherin Prefects called to order the first year students to lead them to the dungeons.

As they passed some of the paintings moving towards the dungeons Harry noticed that they seemed to be watching him. Glancing more directly at a few they bowed, and Harry quickly turned away. Finally they reached a stretch of wall in a dead end hallway that had a single candle with a hanging snake.

"This is the entrance to the Slytherin Dorms. The password changes every week so be sure to check the bulletin board before you leave else you'll be locked out till someone comes. The password is not to be given to anyone outside of Slytherin except on the Kings orders. No one but the King can invite someone who is not Slytherin into the Slytherin common room. The password for this week is death bell," said the female Slytherin prefect. The wall slide open and the first years walked inside. The other years were already lined up waiting, except for the court who lounged on the couches, armchairs and settees. Professor Snape was standing on the slightly raised platform in front of the fireplace and was waiting for them to arrive. When they finally settled in front of the other standing students he spoke,

"Welcome to Slytherin. This is not the path to success many of you believe it to be. You will fight for your place here. Outside these walls you are subject to the prejudice of the other houses, which means outside these walls we are one. Any and all disputes are to be settled in house, either on your own or through the court. If you receive a detention from another teacher you will also serve one with me. I do not take points from my own house but you will find I can be much, much worse. If you need me for an emergency that," Snape pointed at a closed door, "Is the door to my office. If it is not an emergency find one of the six prefects and bother them." With that he stepped off the platform and to the side of the room allowing the Slytherin King to step forward.

"Hello new snakes," said the seventh year who was king. Harry didn't recognize him but considering he had never had needed to know the majority of the Slytherin house before Harry wasn't surprised. "I am Nasta LeStrange. Many of you may have heard from your parents the significance of my role and that of the court," he flourished his hand towards where his court was lounging. "Ravenclaw is the only other house that has a Royal Court and at times a king or queen may rule both houses at the same time. I however am King only of the Slytherin court and have an agreement with my fellow king that during our occupancies we shall not move against one another. Those of you, who do not understand court dynamics, will soon learn. I turn it over to the capable prefects now," Nasta finished and stepped down. Six students stood and stepped onto the platform, three females and three males, two of which rose from the court.

"Hello Firsties, I am Gemma Farley, sixth year female prefect and this," she pointed beside her, "Is my partner in crime Adrian Pucey." Harry instantly liked her uncharacteristically bubbly attitude. "Memorize our faces, if you need help or a fellow snake is in danger you come to us, okay? Good! Now off to bed you lot. Girls on the right boys to the left, go skedaddle," she waved them off. Harry and his fellow first years quickly got moving.

The dormitories were split with a small mini common room between them. Harry's name along with Blaise and Theo's was on the left while, Draco's, Crabbe's and Goyle's room was to the right. Harry opened the door to his room and entered Theo and Blaise right behind.

Three king sized four poster beds were on the far side of the room with a shelf and wardrobe beside each. Harry spotted his black and silver trunk at the end of the bed to the left and quickly went over. He flicked his wand out placing complex wards over his area. His trunk was already warded to high hell but he wasn't going to be leaving anything to chance.

Once he had finished unpacking and placing his things carefully away Harry slowly undid his hair placing the pins and net into the small looking jewelry case with the word Lily carved in the top. He brushed through his long silky hair before tying it back in a ponytail and changing into a pair of black silk pajamas' and grabbing his toiletries bag.

Harry made his way to the boy's communal bathrooms and set about brushing his teeth and washing his face in a well-established routine. It took him a few moments to notice that the bathroom had gone quiet. Looking into the mirror Harry saw why. Most of the Slytherin court had entered the bathroom and Nasta seemed to be waiting for something. Harry and Nasta locked eyes in the mirror and Harry put his toiletries away before slowly turning around.

"Something I can help you with?" Harry asked calmly while he cursed himself for leaving his wand in his room. He hadn't wanted to give away his true power so soon but it seemed as though he may not have much choice.

"Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived, The Destroyer of the Dark Lord," Nasta purred creepily as he took a step forward. Harry raised an eyebrow at the obvious intimidation tactic.

"If you want to use titles it's actually Dr. Harry Potter PhD, King Nasta," Harry said keeping his face blank.

"Do you think I, or any of my court actually cares?" Nasta shot back.

"No," answered Harry before letting his aura flare hard making them all drop to their knees at the rush of magic. "But you will," and with that he left the bathroom slowly drawing his magic back behind his shields.