NINE: POWER AND SECRECY

I don't own Harry Potter; I'm just borrowing him for a little while.

"If you want my throne you have to challenge me," said Nasta through gritted teeth as he knelt on the ground.

"Oh I apologize, was I not blunt enough? I could have sworn you were Slytherin rather than Gryffindor," Harry said giving a 'what do you do' shrug before pulling his magic back inside his walls releasing the room. "Since it wasn't clear, I, Challenge, You," and with that he stepped back and drew his wand. Nasta stood slightly shaky but tall nonetheless. "As I challenged you, it is your right to pick the type, be it Knight, Lord, Prince, or King." Harry continued.

The rules of each type of challenge were varied. A Knight challenge was fought with weapons or fists, without magic. Very rarely was this type of challenge given, usually challenges were fought with Lord specifications, where only magic could be used. A Prince challenged allowed the use of weapons and magic. A Kings challenge was also fought with the use of weapons and magic, however if a Kings challenge was fought the loser could never again stand against the winner in a battle for Kingship. It was also the only challenge where death was permissible. Nasta smirked.

"You have power and you carry weapons but you are still just a little boy and have no idea how to use them. I call a Kings challenge," said Nasta. Harry saw concern and resignation flicker in Snape's eyes before they once again went blank. Snape could stop anything that would spell death for one of his students in most situations but if he accepted this there was nothing Snape could do.

"I accept," Harry answered. Snape's face was a blank sheet of cold ice as he put up the wards surrounding the area where Nasta and Harry would duel. When it was done Harry and Nasta stood at either end. Most wards were not physical, these dueling wards were, however, to insure that nothing would come in or go out during the duel. They were clear like glass but in the right light shimmered slightly. The wards coated two walls and the corner where they intersected and twenty feet out on either end to connect in another shimmering corner.

"You are a foolish little boy," said Nasta as they circled on another.

"Little I may be, but I am far from foolish," Harry answered. Nasta didn't answer just silently cast a cutting spell that Harry ducked under. Nasta tried following up the spell with a thrust of a dagger but Harry lifted his arm and bounced the blade off his hidden arm grieve and gave a punch to Nasta's kidneys before lightly moving out of reach.

Nasta circled him more wary now and Harry smirked. Nasta began a flurry of spells chaining them, using darker and darker spells everytime. Harry leaped, twisted, ducked and turned weaving his way around spells using his magic as minimally as possible to block incoming magic. Finally Nasta was magically depleted and panting.

Harry smiled from where he was standing, breathing only slightly elevated. Nasta stared at him incredulous.

"That's not possible you shouldn't be perfectly fine," he said. Harry smirked.

"I seem to have much more stamina than you Nasta. Hmmm more Stamina, more power," Harry paused. "What was it you said I couldn't do? Oh yes, you said I didn't have the knowledge on how to use my power and weapons." Harry's smile turned violent, and Nasta felt fear. "Then you should have a perfectly fine time defending yourself," Harry said already moving. Spells flowed from Harry's wand and Nasta spent his strength dodging them as well as physical attacks from Harry's sword but Harry moved just as quickly. Suddenly Harry was gone, disillusioned. Nasta cast a wide range finite incantaum dispelling the charm but Harry was still nowhere to be seen. Nasta looked around spinning wildly as he moved closer and closer to the middle of the dueling area.

A condescending whistle sounded from above in the top of the decorative pillars and Nasta looked up only to see black as he was knocked out by Harry's dropping body. Harry came up in a roll before moving towards Nasta. He felt for a pulse in the boy's neck as he had fallen rather hard onto the stone floor. His pulse was strong and Harry nodded towards Professor Snape.

"He'll live," said Harry as the wards around him fell and he stepped towards the common room door to exit into the castle. "Probably have a headache though," and then he was gone.

Harry made his way towards the kitchens. While he may have just secured the Slytherin throne now he had to keep it. The Ravenclaw king would most certainly challenge him when he found out the change in leadership and there would most likely be several Slytherins that would vie for the throne now that Nasta was no longer a competitor. That was why he had made as much of a show as possible, to throw off contenders. He hadn't shown his full power in the actual duel but he had made the Slytherins think twice about challenging him.

The kitchen was full of working house elves when he entered and they immediately ran and bounced to him when he entered. He heard distinct laughter in his head that he suspected was Hogwarts as he tried to calm the excitable creatures down so he could speak to them. Finally he used his magic to push calming waves towards them. They immediately calmed down and stood back waiting for him to speak.

"Could I speak to the head house elf of the kitchen please," he asked politely. A single elf in a small chef uniform with the Hogwarts crest over his heart stepped forward.

"I's being Zambe head elf in kitchens, what can Zambe do for Master Harrys Potter Sir?" asked Zambe.

"Hello Zambe, did Hogwarts tell you I'd be coming by?" asked Harry. Zambe nodded excitedly. "That's good. I wanted to come by to give you guys a meal plan of what I will and won't eat."

"Master Harrys Potter Sir doesn't like what Zambe picked out for him?" Zambe asked sniffling.

"It's not that Zambe, I'm sure it tastes good I'm just not like other children that way. I prefer healthier food and not sweets," said Harry crouching down and comforting the elf with a hand on the shoulder. "So lots of fruits and vegetables and less fatty meats with only a little sauce, okay?" Zambe nodded.

"Zambe can do that, Mr. Snape and Madam Sprout likes heathier food too," said Zambe. Harry smiled.

"Thank you Zambe. I'm going to go up for breakfast now okay?" Zambe nodded excitedly.

It was a quick walk up to the great hall considering it was only a floor up from the kitchens. While it was early all of the Slytherins were awake and at the table as were most of the Ravenclaws at their own. The court chairs were empty as the old court sat further down waiting in anticipation for Harry to choose his own court. Harry sat in the kings chair and smirked at the widening of the Ravenclaw kings eyes. He glanced up at the Head Table and noted the anger that flashed in Dumbledore's eyes and the intrigued curiosity in Quirrel's.

"Nasta," Harry called. Nasta was sitting with the rest of the old court once more conscious. He looked wary as Harry called them not wanting to be humiliated by the powerful first year again.

"Yes my King?" Nasta asked.

"Come, sit," Harry gestured towards the chair to the left of him, the advisors chair. Nasta's eyes widened at the implication as he rose from the benches and walked to sit in the court chair. Harry said nothing more as breakfast appeared on his plate, a small bowl of vanilla yogurt and slices of melon and kiwi and strawberries. A slice of whole grain toast sat on his plate with a small cup of natural honey.

"Why?" asked Nasta quietly. Harry looked over at him swallowing the strawberry slice he had put in his mouth and setting his fork down.

"You were king, you know Slytherin, you cannot challenge me, and underneath the deranged mask you where you are intelligent and powerful, so tell me who better?" answered Harry going back to his meal.

At quarter to nine Snape began moving down the table handing out schedules. Today was Sunday and therefore there were no classes. It was a day for the new students to settle in and explore. Harry couldn't figure out why he hadn't taken the opportunity in his first life but as he already knew the castle top to bottom he had no reason to do so. Instead he would be cementing his place as king and moving into the Slytherin kings quarters that had been unused since Tom Riddle had been king.