Chapter 17: Battle for the eye (1)

Atop a hill overlooking the ruins, sat a stoic youth, his snow colored hair waving gently with the cool breeze of dawn. Behind him was a blue haired youth who seemed to be looking around care freely but, his right hand which was secretly gripping the handle of a sheathed dagger strapped on his waist proved otherwise. Judging from their tensed expressions, it was obvious that they were preparing for a huge battle.

Suddenly, the white haired youth turned his head sharply towards a certain direction, seeming to have sensed something. "He's here."

"Hmm.. Then it's our duty to give him a warm welcome, is it not? He did take good care of something of ours. It's our turn to pay him back." From within the shadows, a mocking voice said, tossing out a tightly bound youth. "The first and third elder are watching our performances nearby. The two shadow guards are also already in position. Let's make sure to entertain them properly before the main show begins, shall we?"

Turning their heads toward where the voice came from, the two youths nodded their heads. One showing a fanatic expression while the other hid a mysterious motive in his eyes, going unnoticed by the others.

"Now then... let the show begin!"

Hey, Deceit? Have you ever thought of the essence of everything?

That question is too broad.

You know, in things like how everything is thought as or perceived as. Things like how people cannot know what hard is without feeling softness or knowing where up is without looking down. When some people say, 'There will be no light without darkness', most people think of it in a positive way but, flip the words around, and it'll become the opposite. 'The will be no darkness without the light'.

And what does it have to do with essence?

There will be no light without darkness. In a situation where a person was born in a poor family, living in poor conditions, when he suddenly gains wealth, that is his light within the darkness. There will be no darkness without the light. When he gained wealth, that person will naturally yearn for more. That very light of his bore darkness which is greed. People are naturally insatiable after all. That is in their nature. It is also their essence, their balance of light and darkness.