Part 8: Aftermath

"Khushi, open the door. Khushi, open the door I said...please open the door."

He knocked at the bedroom door again and again but she won't open it. He head feared it. He knew she'd be hurt.

Maya in a drunken state had blurted everything that happened 2 years ago on when he was in London on a business trip and Khushi did not utter even a word from that moment on. He didn't say anything in front of the driver, and once they reached home, she ran upstairs and locked herself up. He's been standing outside for half of an hour in the meanwhile.

Arnav - What Maya said, that's not the complete truth Khushi...Hear me out at least. Give me a chance to explain myself.

The door finally opened and he sighed a bit seeing her finally. She was still in the top and skirt but had removed her makeup and her hair were open.

Arnav - Khushi-

She didn't stay there to listen to him and walked downstairs instead. He followed her to the kitchen not able to bear her silence.

Arnav - Khushi, believe me. Whatever Maya told wasn't the full truth. Say something. Hear me out.

Khushi - There's nothing to say and nothing to hear.

She had kept pot on the gas to make Jalebis but changed her mind and walked out of the kitchen saying nothing more.

Arnav - Khushi, there's a lot to say and a lot to hear. You need to know the truth.

He caught her wrist in his hand stopping her from going to the stairs. She turned in anger and pushed him with force making him wobble.

Khushi - What do you want to say? What is the truth? You went on a date and almost cheated on me with that woman! That's enough information for me. I don't need more.

Though she only went on to push him further, he cupped her face nodding in denial.

Arnav - I didn't go on any date with her.

She made him leave her and turned walking away from him.

Arnav - We wanted her to model for us and she wanted to talk about it all on dinner. The head designer was supposed to join us but-

Khushi - Stop with your excuses! You picked her up and dropped her back. You went into her house and almost kissed her. If you wouldn't have gotten my call, you would have kissed her and slept with her.

She continued pushing him until his back hit the wall. He caught her wrists nodding in denial with remorse.

* * *

"Did you ever cheat on me with anyone else? Did you ever sleep with someone else after our marriage?"

He leaned against the window as he watched her sitting on the carpet hugging her knees. She looked up at him with her red eyes.

Arnav - I would never do that to you Khushi!

Khushi - You were to do that! I trusted you. In these five years of our marriage, you went on so many business trips to so many countries, I never doubted you.

Arnav - Khushi, believe me. I didn't do anything. That was not an intended date. We had discussed pure business. I admit I did go in when she invited me but not with that intention.

Khushi - Then why? What did you go in? To have a coffee? Do you think I am so stupid Mr. Raizada? I know what it means to go in for a after a date!

Arnav - It wasn't a date Khushi!

She stood up wiping her eyes as he approached her. She motioned him not to come closer.

Khushi - Whatever it was! You went in and ended up kissing her.

Arnav - Don't change the facts. There was no kiss. She offered coffee and I had been having a bit headache, so agreed.

Khushi - And a coffee led to a kiss!

She felt disgusted. Every word seemed to be a lie only. It appeared that everything he had ever said in all these years had been lies. Maybe he was having affairs around? Whenever he was out of country for business trips, maybe he has girlfriends.

Arnav - For one second, I...my mind slipped but I didn't kiss her.

Khushi - Only because you got a call...How will I ever trust you again?

* * *

"I couldn't sleep those two nights..."

He raised his lashes to listen to her as she stared pointlessly at nothing while sitting at the dining table.

Khushi - You had fought with me before leaving, so I was so worried. I couldn't sleep without your warmth. And you didn't even call me....so after a sleepless night, I called you finally. I wanted to talk to you. I needed your comforting words. I had no idea that in that moment you're sitting with some other woman.

He walked to her and held her band in his wiping her tears.

Arnav - Even if you wouldn't have called, I wouldn't have kissed her. You are the only woman I want to be with.

She met his moist eyes. There was love for her, yes she could see that. But the damage was done. Her trust was broken. She couldn't bear the thought of what would have happened if she wouldn't have called him.

Arnav - I'm really sorry, for being so stupid and letting the matter go to that extent. I assure you, I'll never break your trust.

She snatched her hand back from him getting up to distance herself.

* * *

Arnav - Please forgive me Khushi. It wasn't that big of a matter. Nothing happened and-

Khushi - Not that big of a matter???

She stared him in disbelief. How could he say that? Doesn't he know how much it affects her? Doesn't he know what a meaning kissing has for her?

Khushi - For you kissing may be just like shaking hands, but for me, it is something very intimate. For me, it is an expression of love. And getting so far, that is a big deal for me! And you know that!

Arnav - I know, but a kiss never happened. And I deeply apologize for everything. I am really sorry! Please.

Khushi - That kiss didn't happen...but now I know, that if a girl invites you to come in for coffee at night...you don't deny. Next time your phone may not ring...And despite knowing this, how will I ever be able to sleep in peace again whenever you'd be out on trips or work till late night. My thoughts will always go to that.

He looked at her feeling like someone just stabbed his heart. Losing her trust is almost like losing her. What if she distance herself from him? Is this the beginning of the end of their relationship? No. He loves her too much. He can't lose her.

He cupped her face into his hands meeting her forehead with hers. Tears oozed out. Hurt clearly visible in her eyes, remorse in his'.

Arnav - I am really extremely sorry Khushi. Please forgive me. I won't let you down. I will never ever break your trust again, I rather die.

She closed her eyes. Did she want to trust him? Yes. But will she be able to? That'll be difficult because for her. But it wasn't only his almost betrayal that bothered her.

Khushi - If only you wouldn't have hidden it from me...tell me one thing, if it was me on your place, would you have forgiven and forgotten?

She observed him without blinking even once. They both knew the answer. Being the ASR he is, he wouldn't have forgiven her so easily. His reaction would have been much worse than hers.

He dropped his hands down and she smiled mockingly within her tears. She got up from the couch collecting his waistcoat and blazer to walk up to the bedroom. The clock struck 6' O'clock, the outside was bright . They had been awake all night arguing and fighting.

She stopped at the stair and looked down at him as he sat there on the couch holding his face in his palm. Wiping her tears, she finally took a deep breathe.

Khushi - I'll pack my clothes. I want to go home. I need a break.