Chapter Ten

| Four years later – Lara's POV |

Kennedy and I had travelled across America back to my home territory in California to visit my family and friends from the Blood Walker's Pack. We had arrived over 12 days ago and was due to leave tomorrow.

Grace and Julian had taken us in, and I was finally able to meet my new-born nephew Riley. He was gorgeous and looked just like Dylan but had Sophia's bright blue eyes.

He was such a calm and quiet baby, he laid so peacefully within your arms and reminded me so much of Kennedy when she was his age.

I felt the happiest when I was with my family here, I had missed them terribly while in Texas.

Although, I had made many friends and memories in Texas, I wanted to come home. So much had happened while there over the past month, it had made me realise that we needed another new start.

While studying at college, I had met Nathan, he was two years older than me and lived only a few doors down the hallway of the pack house. At first, he was charming and sweet but the last month or so, he had showed me a side of him that made me uncomfortable, he was showing unsettling behaviours.

It only added to why I wanted to come visit my family earlier than what was planned. I needed some time to myself, to get away from the events that happened at home, to distract myself from unwanted memories.

"Lara," Dylan said, his voice removing me from my absence thinking.

"Yeah?" I replied, still rocking Riley in my arms as Kennedy sat down in front of the television her eyes never swaying from her favourite Disney movie.

"What are you thinking so hard about?" Dylan questioned as he sat down next to me. I shook my head in reply and pursed my lips together. "Oh, nothing. Just thinking about the journey home tomorrow that's all."

He stared at me for a few moments, looking to see if I was telling the truth. I laughed at him; he had always been so protective of me. "I'm fine." I said with a smile, wanting to calm his wolf who was clearing analysing my facial expressions.

He accepted my answer by nodding, changing the subject to speak about my potential move back to the Blood Walker's territory. Reed had already prepared the papers for me, all I needed to do was fill it out and hand it to my Alpha back in Austin.

Alphas had to keep detailed lists and paperwork of every pack member within their territory and under their protection. There was a lot of work when it came to being an Alpha, you had many businesses and companies to run.

It was the only way for a pack to survive, the Alpha is responsible for looking after not only the land, but the wolves he or she is designed to protect.

I was excited to move back, but nervous of potentially seeing Gabriel, the closer I was to him, the more fidgety and apprehensive I felt.

The first year of Kennedy being born was the hardest, I struggled immensely with the pain of not having Gabriel in our lives and although it took a while, I began to come to terms that he would never be a part of our lives.

I thought about Gabriel occasionally, not as much as I did before. I moved on, like I'm sure he had.

I feel content with my life now apart from the everyday struggles that you face being a single parent.

I worked hard for my money, and I always strived for a better life for my daughter. I worked part-time as a training warrior for the newly shifted wolves back in Nightshade Valley territory.

I had nearly finished college with only a few assignments to go which meant I could move within the next month or so. My friend Taylor lived next door to me, she would often share my room, hanging out with Kennedy and me.