Chapter 3, Part 1: Penny's POV

Finally, it was time for the one subject I couldn't be late for: lunch. Well, I guess that wasn't really true since I had detention. Lunch detention—who even knew they existed. Of course Dana would be the teacher to give me one too.

There were so many yummy-smelling, delicious (and unhealthy) choices to choose from in the dining hall. I was so ready to load up my plate with French fries, a cheeseburger, a soft-shelled taco from the taco bar, and a slice of pepperoni pizza, with a strawberry milkshake on the side. (Having so many brothers, my stomach has learned how to be a bottomless pit when it comes to eating ... and we all have really fast metabolisms, so that was a plus.) Then I remembered I was going to eat lunch with the chief of the Healthy Food Police. There was no junk food in my brothers' house, at all, and I knew if I even tried to bring "crappy" food into Dana's classroom, he would make me throw away every bit of it before I even got to take a bite.

After taking a couple fries out of the serving bowl and eating them to satisfy my junk food craving (for the time being), I went over to the salad bar and loaded my plate with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, some other decent-looking vegetables, and a few slices of grilled chicken. I then went and got a glass of milk and a small bowl of strawberries (so I could have my strawberry milkshake, in spirit). This definitely wasn't the meal I was looking forward to, but there was always tomorrow.

"Penny, over here!" A familiar voice said as I was walking towards the dining hall entrance with my tray. I turned around to see Caroline waving at me from where she was sitting with a group of other kids. "Come sit with us!"

I looked towards the entrance then back at Caroline. I didn't want it to look like I was ignoring her or didn't want to sit with her, because that wasn't the case at all. As far as I was concerned, lunch on the first day of school was the one chance to establish a solid group of friends, and I didn't want to lose that chance. Plus, it would probably look suspicious if I walked out of the dining hall by myself with a tray of food, and I didn't want other kids to think I was a loser who ate lunch alone in her dorm room or even worse find out that I had a lunch detention.

So I made the executive decision to go sit with Caroline and her friends.

"Hey, Caroline," I said with a smile as I approached their table. "Is anyone sitting here?" I asked as I stood in front of the only empty chair at the table.

"You are," Caroline said, smiling back.

"Thanks." I put my tray down and sat in the chair between Caroline and one of the two guys at the table. Fortunately it was facing the door, so I could keep an eye out for any of my nosy brothers (or pissed off brothers). I already had a plan for what I'd do if Dana came in there looking for me: duck down under the table and hope that Caroline and her friends would cover for me.

"Penny, this is Emmett, Julia, Torryn and Marcus," Caroline introduced as she went around the table, pointing at each of them.

"Nice to meet you all," I said.

"Julia is my roommate, Torryn and Emmett are in my biology class, and Marcus is Emmett's roommate."

"Cool," I said. I lived in a single because my brothers said I needed to prove that I could handle having a roommate by showing them that I was responsible (which based on the events this morning was probably gonna be harder than I thought), and they all needed to meet this potential roommate for next year to make sure that they wouldn't be a bad influence on me.

"So how do you know Caroline?" Emmett, the cute boy sitting next to me, asked. What? He really was cute, the cutest boy I'd seen on campus thus far actually. I couldn't really compare him to Douchezilla, because Douchezilla was more hot than cute and Emmett was more cute than hot if that makes any sense.

"Oh we have geometry together," I told him, smiling.

"Yeah, we were both late this morning because we couldn't find the classroom," Caroline added as she took a bite out of her juicy cheeseburger. I was so jealous. "She saved my butt."

"I wouldn't say that," I said after taking my first bite of my decent-tasting salad. "We saved each other. If it wasn't for your map I would have been wandering around the hallways aimlessly looking for the room."

"Yeah well if it wasn't for you, I probably would have been ten minutes later than I actually was," Caroline said.

"Well then, I guess we're even," I said smiling.

Caroline smiled back. "I guess so."

"Aw, you guys helped each other just like true friends," Torryn said.

"And school hadn't even started yet," Julia added.

"Yep, that's how we roll," Caroline said as she took another bite out of her cheeseburger. Now feeling committed to staying here and eating with them, I debated throwing my healthy lunch away and going to get some actual delicious-tasting food.

"Penelope Kherrington, please report to room N307," the announcer said over the intercom. "Penelope Kherrington, please report to room N307."

As I tensed up, I stopped chewing the mouthful I'd taken and swallowed it down whole. How embarrassing! I didn't think anyone knew who I was, so I thought I was safe.

"Hey Penny isn't your real name Penelope?" Caroline asked me. "Is that you?" For a split second I debated lying to her. But since we'd already established ourselves as being true friends, I figured she would find out eventually.

"Uh yeah, that's me," I said as I slumped down in my seat a little.

"And that's Mr. Kherrington's classroom," Torryn said. "I had geometry with him last period. He seems kind of intense."

"Whoa wait ... Kherrington?" Marcus said. "Are you related to Mr. Kherrington?"

"Yeah ... he's my brother," I admitted.

"Is he really?" Marcus asked. I nodded.

"So then are you related to Mr. K, the English teacher, too?" Julia asked.

"Yeah, he's another one of my brothers."

"Wait, Coach Kherrington too?" Marcus asked, looking super-interested in my answer to this question.

I nodded. "Yep, he's brother number three."

"That's so cool! Coach K's the best," Marcus said. "I'm on the soccer team."

"We both are," Emmett added.
"My fourth brother is on the team," I said. "Do you know Owen?"

"Yeah we know him," Emmett said. "He's cool. And he's really good." It was good to hear that Emmett didn't seem to have any bad blood with Owen. Hopefully the feeling was mutual.

"I wonder what your brother wants you for," Julia said.

"I hope it's not about this morning," Caroline added.

I tried to play it cool. "Whatever it is, I'll just talk to him about it later."

"You sure it can wait?" Emmett said. "I mean, we don't wanna keep you here and get you in trouble with him."

"Or more trouble," Caroline added with a worried look on her face.

"Trust me, you couldn't possibly get me into any more trouble with him," I said.