Chapter 22: Penny's POV

"So what was that about?" I asked Zach as he closed my bedroom door behind him.

"What was what about?" he asked.

"Whatever just happened between you and Owen."

"Oh, nothing," Zach said, brushing it off.

"It didn't seem like nothing. I mean, I didn't expect my brother to be happy about me bringing a boy home, but he seemed especially pissed off that it was you."

"Yeah well, we kind of got off on the wrong foot last year." Zach motioned for me to sit down on the bed. "It was a big misunderstanding, and nothing that you need to worry about."

"Still Owen looked about ready to bash your face in before you grabbed hold of him and whispered something in his ear."

"Yeah well, let's just say I always know the right thing to say." As he sat down next to me on the bed, I could tell that he was still keeping something from me.

"Well I knew that, Mr. Smooth Talker," I said. "But what did you say to him?"

"It's really not that important, Pidge," Zach said with a sigh as he stood up while patting my leg.

"Then why won't you tell me?" I asked as I stood up too.

"Honestly, because it's not my secret to tell." Zach unzipped his backpack. "If you really want to know what I said, ask your brother."

I had no idea why Zach was being so secretive about what he'd said to Owen. I knew that it had to be important for it to stop a rage-filled Owen dead in his tracks. Anyway, as much as I wanted to know, I decided that this was one of those times where I should "pick my battles" and just let it go—especially since I could just ask Owen later.

"Let's get started on that Spanish homework," Zach said as he pulled out his Spanish-English dictionary.

"Ugh, do we have to?" I said as I opened my backpack.

"Si, ahora," he said. "Vamos!"

I pulled out my homework packet. "Have I told you how much I don't like Spanish? Because I don't."

Zach sat back down on my bed. "En español, por favor."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine. No me gusta la clase de español."

"See you know Spanish ... and you said that you needed my help," Zach said.

"I do need your help. That's literally the one sentence I know by heart." I sigh as I sat back down next to him. "And since Señora Rodriguez doesn't teach us anything, I actually had to look that up myself."

"Well I think you're selling yourself short. So why don't you try to do the packet by yourself before I just give you the answers."

"Gee, thanks so much for the help."

"You mean, 'muchas gracias.'" I rolled my eyes again. "The more Spanish you speak, the better you'll get at it."

"Fine. Cómo se dice 'My boyfriend is a pain in the ass?'"

Zach smirked. "Mi novio es muy guapo y fantástico."

I smirked back. "Yeah, nice try. But I know what 'guapo' and 'fantástico' mean."

"Do you know what 'perfecto' means?"

"Hmmm, I'm gonna take a wild guess and say 'perfect?'"

Zach shook his head. "No." I looked at him confusingly—I wasn't so bad at Spanish that he could pull the wool over my eyes that easily. "It means Penny."