Chapter 24, Part 1: Penny's POV

I felt dead.

At least on the inside—on the outside I was still feeling the aftermath of Ben and Dana tearing my ass a new one yesterday. I wasn't sure whether to be glad or annoyed that nothing eventful happened after my brother went all "Alpha Male" on my boyfriend and me. The most exciting thing (if you can even call it that) that happened was actually this morning, once I was free to leave the solitary confinement of my bedroom and go to school. I wasn't late when I left my house this morning, but I lost track of time while I was venting my frustration to Caroline (the only person that knew about my current boyfriend of four days).

"That's horrible," Caroline said after I finished explaining to her just how miserable my life was. "First Cooper gets involved in your love life, now Dana and Ben?"

"I know right?" I said as I slung my backpack over my shoulder. "I didn't expect them to be happy about me dating anybody, but all my brothers have definitely taken it too far."

"Well, all your brothers except for Owen ..." A concerned look crept onto Caroline's face when I didn't agree with her right away. "Right?"

"Apparently there was already some strong animosity between Owen and Zach before I came into the picture."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Owen wasn't just pissed that I brought a guy home, he seemed especially pissed that it was Zach."

"Weird," Caroline said as we started walking in the direction of Dana's class. "I wonder why."

"Penny!" A voice suddenly called from behind. Both Caroline and I stopped at the eagerness the voice seemed to have. I turned to find an equally eager-looking Emmett rushing towards us.

"Oh great," I said as I turned back around.

"Are you gonna talk to him?" Caroline asked as I started to walk again.

"Not today," I said. "I've got enough drama in my life right now."

"Penny! Wait!" It didn't take long for a persistent Emmett to catch up to us. "I need to talk to you."

"Not now, Emmett," I said as I continued down the hallway.

"Please?" He actually ran past us and then stopped in front of us so that I had to stop and listen to him. "It's really important."

"Well now's not a good time," I said as we turned the corner.

"I was gonna talk to you before soccer practice yesterday, but you weren't there," Emmett said just as the warning bell rang.

"I'm quitting soccer," I said as I sidestepped him and Caroline followed my lead. I was not gonna be late because of Emmett.

Emmett sighed as we started up the stairs. "Penny, I know what I did was terrible ... but don't quit soccer because of me."

"Trust me, Emmett, I'm not quitting because of you." Because of Zach maybe (since that would mean I'd have more time to hang out with him after school, the only time when I was free to do what I wanted without being under my brothers' complete control), but not because of Emmett. "I just have too much stuff on my plate to deal with right now. Something had to go, and it made the most sense for it to be soccer." Emmett opened his mouth to speak again, but I cut him off. "Now I really do have to go—I can't afford to be late to my brother's class today."

Fortunately Emmett left us alone after that and went off to his first class.

"Still think he's a douche?" Caroline asked as we quickly reached the third floor with less than twenty seconds to spare.