Chapter 26, Part 2: Owen's POV

I knew being overprotective would come in handy one day. Memorizing your sister's schedule and living location may seem a bit stalkerish, but - trust me- it definitely has its perks. Otherwise, how would I have been able to get to Penny's dorm so quickly?

I had absolutely no idea what I would meet behind that door. I couldn't even be sure she was in there; but, Penny's predictable. And, if I know her as well as I thought I did, that's where she would be.

This probably wasn't one of my better decisions. After I had lost track of my little sibling- imagine that, a world class soccer player outrun by a girl- I had returned to the locker room to continue getting ready for the upcoming game. However, my mind and heart just weren't in it. Despite my reconciliation with Danny, I had two other problems annoyingly poking my frontal lobe with a sharp stick: Penny and Cooper. It seemed as if I was always leaping one step forward, only to be shoved two steps back. Huh. Must be another one of those Kherrington traits.

My coach was still nowhere to be found, even mere minutes before warmup, and our team captain seemed ready to crumble under the immense pressure of leading us into one of our biggest games of the season.

It was when my left foot was being shoved into a cleat that I had my epiphany.

All those games I missed when I had quit...we had won. Albeit not as easily- which doesn't have anything to do with me, of course. Secondly, the majority of the team would gladly pick Barrabas over me in a heartbeat. Pilate would wash his hands, the Roman soccer players would cheer, and I'd be a goner. And lastly, this game already wasn't looking too hot. If the look on our captain's face foreshadowed anything, it was a definite loss.

So, why waste my time playing for a team that hated me and was bound to lose, anyway? I wasn't quitting, only weighing the pros and cons of picking soccer over Penny. When it came down to it, who needed me more?

With the answer that glaringly obvious, practically tattooed to my forehead, I was out of there before anyone could miss me.

I took the last turn so sharply, I swear I heard tired screeching. Penny's door was straight down the hallway, last door on the left, adorned in flowers and other girly shit and-

I was there. And so was Penny. I heard her voice, clear as day, through the thick door. Who cares if I was pressing my ear against it? Minor details.

But... Something wasn't right. I was feeling a strange sense of déjà vu-- a clouded memory of creeping over the stair banister, watching my baby sister and her asshole boyfriend dig through my candy stash. That voice! There it was, weaving in and out between Penny's frantic utterances. Then, all was quiet.

Oh, hell no!

"Penny!" I raged, banging my fist against the door. Quiet was bad. For all I knew, they were making out or --

"Penny! Open the door!"

If she didn't open this door soon, I was willing to take drastic measures; I wasn't afraid to pull the fire alarm again.

My fist was growing sore from the constant pounding, and I faintly heard a door down the hall open with a "What the hell, dude?"

"Penny!" I tried one more time, eyes already searching the hall for an axe or saw or a sturdy bench like they had used in Titanic.

Finally, the door opened, and my piercing gaze was met with the sight of my flustered sister. Her eyes were red- rimmed, puffy crescents enveloping the glassy orbs. Dust-brown tendrils framed her face haphazardly, and tear tracks were clear on her flushed cheeks. My sister was a wreck.