Chapter 10, Part 2: Penny's POV

I somehow convinced Cooper to let me walk home by myself after practice. I wanted to clear my head since I still hadn't gotten over the big scene Owen decided to make back on the field. I was feeling a little better by the time I reached my brother's home, but all the frustration and anger I'd felt before soccer practice came rushing back as soon as I walked through the front door and locked eyes with Owen. That bastard sitting at the dinner table over there had nearly ruined my first soccer practice, probably ruined any chance I had with Emmett, and definitely ruined my entire day. Not that I was gonna let him know that.

"Perfect timing," Dana said as I walked into the kitchen. "Dinner's just about done. Can you take the bowl of brown rice over to the table?" I grabbed the bowl of rice and not-so-gingerly put it down on the dinner table as I glared at Owen. He didn't flinch the tiniest bit—although he did blink—as I put the bowl down with a loud thud. "Easy, Penny. That bowl is fragile."

As Ben walked into the kitchen, I slowly pulled out my chair and slowly sat down in my usual seat across from Owen, not taking my dagger eyes off of him for a second.

"So, Penny," Ben said as he brought the salad bowl and the pea bowl to the table. "How was your first day of soccer practice?"

I smirked. Now was my chance to rub it in Owen's face. "It was really, really fun," I told my oldest brother, still not taking my eyes off my fourth oldest brother. "I'm really, really glad I joined. It's the best decision I've made at Willow Academy."

"You joined the soccer team?" Dana asked as he brought over the tin-foil-wrapped chicken that he just took out of the oven.

"I know right?" Owen said to him. "Of all the teams for her to join, she just had to pick soccer."

"Owen ..." Cooper warned as he then walked into the kitchen.

"No, it's okay, Cooper," I said. "I didn't let the little temper tantrum Owen threw today faze me when I was out there on the field. My coaches said I'm a natural, and if I keep it up I'll be a starter in no time." Owen's eye twitched a little after I said the word "starter."

"Temper tantrum?" Ben asked, looking at Owen. "What temper tantrum?" Owen looked down at his plate and started digging around at his peas with his fork.

"The temper tantrum he threw after he realized that I joined soccer. But like I said, it didn't bother me. Today was the most fun I've had in a while."

"Could have fooled me," Owen said as he stabbed some peas with his fork and ate them.

"What's the supposed to mean?" I asked him.

"Nothing, it's just we hardly ever see you anymore, so who knows what kind of 'fun' you're having while you're out gallivanting with all the 'cool kids.'"

My eyes narrowed. I swear, he was turning into a bigger douche than that kid I ran into on the first day—Douchezilla or whatever his name was.

"I'm not out 'gallivanting' with anyone," I said. "I just happen to have something called a LIFE outside of these walls."

"I'm just saying, I was starting to think you weren't a part of this family anymore," Owen said.

"Owen, enough," Cooper said.

"Oh, shut up, Owen," I said. "How can you even say that after the way you acted today? You're the one that acted like no one ever taught you how to control yourself in the fifteen years you've been alive."

"Whoa, whoa," Ben said. "What brought this on all of a sudden, you two?"

"Everyone just calm down—"

"Do you know how embarrassing it is to be associated with someone who acts like that?" I said, completely ignoring Dana as I stood up.

Owen stood up too. "Probably not as embarrassing as—"

"Owen David, don't," Ben warned.

"Oh c'mon, Ben!" Owen said. "Don't take her side too! She's the one that never comes to dinner anymore!"

"Gee I wonder why!" I said. "Maybe it's because I don't want to be subjected to your nonsense!"

"Then why are you here now?" Owen asked.

Honestly? Because I was still pissed at Owen for ruining my day; because I hoped by my coming to dinner for once, I'd get the satisfaction of seeing him getting in trouble for the way he acted; because I hoped that I could make him feel as crappy as I did today. Of course, I wasn't going to tell any of my brothers that.

"Okay, this dinner conversation has gotten way out of control," Dana said before I had a chance to answer. "Now I don't know what's been going on between the two of you lately, but it needs to stop."

"Tell him, to stop." I firmly pointed my finger in Owen's direction. "Tell him to stop being a disgrace to this family!"

"At least I'm not a bitch."

That probably would have hurt more if I wasn't filled with so much rage at that moment. "What did you just call me?" I said to Owen as I then started walking around the table towards him.

Cooper, who was sitting between Owen and I, immediately stood up and grabbed me around my waist before I had a chance to bash Owen's face in. "Penny, don't," he said.

As Cooper did that, Ben reached over and pulled down on the back of Owen's shirt. "Sit," he said to Owen in an icy cold voice as Owen fell back into his chair.

"Penelope Grace, sit down," Ben warned.

"No," I snapped at him. I then looked down at Owen. "You wanna know what you are?" I seethed. "You are a whiney, arrogant, worthless piece of shit who no one wants to be around because your negativity is infectious and we'd all be better off without you!" All my brothers seemed taken aback by my comment, especially Owen, but I didn't care for one second. "And that's the truth!"

"Alright, I've had enough of this!" Ben said as he slammed his lap napkin down on the table and stood up. "Just, go to your room! You're grounded!"

Now I was the one who was gaping. "Grounded? Are you serious?"

"I'm dead serious," Ben said. "You're grounded for two weeks." He then looked at Owen. "Both of you are."

"Me? What did I do?" Owen asked, throwing his hands up in the air. "Why am I grounded?"

"Because you called your sister such a horrendous name," Dana answered. "That's why."

"You know what, fine! I wasn't hungry anyways!" I said as I pushed my way out of Cooper's grasp. Once I was free, I walked out of the kitchen. "I hate you all! God, I wish I could just disown this entire family!"

I stomped all the way upstairs and slammed my bedroom door shut behind me.