Chapter 4, Part 2: Penny's POV

The rest of the school day went by pretty smoothly: I didn't have Ben or Cooper's class, I didn't see Dana at all, and there weren't any additionally embarrassing announcements about me said over the intercom. Caroline, Emmett, Torryn, Julia, and Marcus (or some combination of the five of them) were in my remaining classes, so it was cool to not feel like I was alone (even if some of the teachers had assigned seats).

After last period I took my time making plans to do homework and hang out with everyone later, going to the bathroom, and grabbing a snack from the vending machine before walking to Dana's classroom. I figured at this rate it was better that I find him than make him find me, because surely he was already pissed at me for skipping lunch detention. But when I went to open his classroom door, it was locked. I knew Dana only locked his door when he wasn't in there. I knocked and waited a little while for him to come to the door just in case he was in there, but he never came. I thought about calling Dana's cell phone to see where he was, but then I figured the only other place he could be was home. So I decided that I'd walk over to my brothers' house ... right after I stopped by my dorm room to put my backpack down (because (1) it was really heavy, and (2) knowing my brothers they'd make me do my homework at their house if I brought it over there, thus screwing up the study plans I made).

As I turned the corner of my dorm hallway, the first thing I saw was Ben and Dana waiting outside my room. The split second I took to stand there frozen and wide-eyed ruined any chance I had of turning around and making a run for it because they saw me. Sure I'd planned on seeing them when I got to their house, but how embarrassing to have two teachers standing outside your room waiting for you! And here I thought my day was getting better with time ...

"There you are," Ben said as he stood up from his leaning position against the wall.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked as I trudge up to the two of them.

"We came to get you," Ben said. "Go grab whatever homework you have and let's go."

"Go where?" I asked.

"You're spending the rest of the day at home," Dana said as he motioned for me to unlock my door. "We need to talk."

"But ..." I said as I pulled my key out of my pocket. "But I already made plans."

"Plans?" Ben asked.

Once I got my door open, Dana and Ben followed me inside. "Plans to meet up with some of my friends later—"

"I'm glad you've made friends, Penny," Ben said. "But—"

"You're definitely not going out on a school night," Dana said, cutting him off.

"The same rules for home apply here," Ben continued. "No hanging out with friends on school nights unless it's for schoolwork."

"But it is for schoolwork, Ben. We're gonna study and do homework together."

"This isn't up for discussion, Penny," Dana said calmly. "As soon as we get home we are going to have a conversation about your behavior earlier today; then you're going to do your homework, eat dinner, and finish any homework you have left before coming back here to go to bed. That's it." I knew this calm frustration anywhere. Dana was pissed, and I was screwed. "So get whatever books you need and let's go. Now."

"Make sure you don't forget anything," Ben said as I then wasted no time stuffing various textbooks and papers into my backpack. I wasn't looking forward to having to explain to my friends tomorrow why I stood them up. I should have gotten Caroline's number ... or Emmett's. "You don't wanna have to come all the way back here to get something."