Chapter 7: Owen's POV

Ben and Dana walked in silently. For a few moments, they said nothing, just standing there looking half-worried, and half- something else I didn't want to think about. You could probably cut the tension in the room with a steak knife.

Once again, I found myself unable to meet that foreboding gaze burning a hole into my back. My hand predictably went up to scratch at the back of my neck. I cleared my throat awkwardly, and waited for the hurricane to sweep through.

Thankfully, it was Ben who broke the silence.

"Owen, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine," I said, still not making eye contact or even turning around to face them.

"What happened?" Ben asked.

"I guess I fainted ..."

"Yeah, we know that," Dana said. "But what made you faint? Were you dehydrated?"

I looked at Cooper for some back-up, but he gave me a look that said I was on my own. "I mean, I drank water during the one water break Cooper gave me—"

"Then what was it?" Ben asked. "This isn't the first soccer practice you've ever been at."

"Well, I had to run the entire practice," I said looking at my third oldest brother. "Thanks to him."

"Your running all of practice had nothing to do with why you fainted," Cooper said. "So why don't you tell them the real reason?"

I looked down, contemplating how I was going to go about telling them all that had happened today. My black school trainers tapped out a staccato on the concrete floor in time with my beating heart, and I knew this wasn't going to be easy- not in the slightest.

"I kind of got suspended from the first game," I mumbled, jiggling my leg anxiously.

"And how did you 'kind of' get suspended? You weren't in my class this morning, you know," Dana said, starting to get impatient with my antics.

I eyed Cooper, pleading with him to take over, but my brother wouldn't budge. "Just spit it out, Owen," he urged.

"Fine! I lied to Ms. Peskova this morning about why I was late. She sent me to the principal's office, and Yates suspended me from the first game. Coop here thought he should add on to the punishment," I gestured to him sarcastically, "by making me run the entire practice. Then, I fainted, like any normal person would do after running for so long. End of story."

"As I recall correctly, Owen, this isn't the first time Cooper has made you run the entire practice," Ben said.

"Yeah, I know," I admitted.

"But this is the first time you've fainted from it," he added.

I shrugged and finally looked up at my oldest brother. "So?"

"So it isn't 'end of story,'" Ben said. "You've clearly left out some details."

I panicked a little, trying my best to stall on having to inevitably tell them about the enjoyable breakfast and lunch I'd had earlier in the day. So I spat out the first "detail" I could think of. "... Fine. Before practice Cooper called me in here and beat my butt too." I blushed a little with embarrassment. I hated having to admit to anyone when I got spanked—I'm fifteen for Pete's sake.

"I meant details about why you fainted," Ben said. "Your story still doesn't add up."

"No it doesn't," Dana agreed.

"I already told you, I only got one water break," I said. "So naturally anyone who only had one water break would faint—"

"Owen ..." Cooper said, letting his sentence trail off as he shook his head.