Chapter 18, Part 2: Owen's POV

Strobe lights bounded off the walls at lightning speed pace, illuminating different parts of the crowded room for no more than a second; the whole thing was eerily exciting. There was no clear path among the mass of bodies swaying to the pounding beat, and the air tasted like tantalizing sweat. One could surely feel the heat from miles away, hear the bass thrash the earth like thunder, see the lights guide any lost man home. This dance was alive, and so was this deal.

Alright, who am I kidding? This is Willow Academy we're talking about here- not some downtown "This-spot-is-hot" club. I mean, strobe lights? More like a cheesy disco ball that was probably used at Ben's homecoming dance, and that was centuries ago! And forget a proper dance floor- the gym's linoleum would have to do.

It's not that I cared about the decorum so much as that I wanted this night to go perfectly. If I was going to risk my ass to the very limits, I was going to ensure I did a damn good job of it. Let's face it: the hokey pokey isn't exactly the best environment to be dealing a wide scale dosage of ecstasy; I wanted Peters and all the other guys to know us sophomores were dead serious. And that after this, I was totally out. Riley could take the reins again, for all I cared.

I hadn't seen Penny all day. Actually, I wasn't even sure she was here yet. Emmett wasn't really the type to do the whole "bring-flowers-and-take-pictures-thing"; he really was too young to focus on much more than his soccer career right now. I mean, who could blame him? The kid's pretty good!

I wasn't too thrilled Penny was going to spend the night in some bozo's arms, but the fact that Emmett was completely harmless did help a bit.

I hadn't seen my brothers much, either. I think they were too busy worrying about my sister to care whether I was up to no good or not. Which, of course, I was; but they would never know that.

Besides, they didn't have to worry about my date, considering I didn't even have one. No, I'm not a loner! It's a soccer tradition for the guys to go stag to homecoming. Emmett could break it all he wanted, but for me, it was the golden rule: bros before hoes.

~*~

The dance was in full swing by the time Riley and I had everything ready to go. To be honest, I wasn't entirely sure how this whole thing was supposed to play out- I was just more of the middle man; my job was to negotiate, not plan.

"Don't worry, Kherrington. There's no possible way this can go wrong," Riley muttered as we strolled casually through the open doors. Some Hit List track was playing, cheesy auto tune drifting nasally through the dispersed speakers. I scoffed at a group of freshmen attempting to dirty dance- they obviously hadn't been informed of the "six inch" rule yet. I knew it would only be a matter of minutes before a chaperone intervened.

"Oh, fuck," I heard Riley groan next to me. I turned, shocked, and followed his eyes across the room to a shadow appearing to stand guard against the wall. From my angle, I couldn't tell who it was; I assumed it was just a chaperone.

"What, man?" I hissed, willing my eyes to see better in the dim room.

"Are you fucking blind? What the fuck is he doing here?!"

I still couldn't see who "he" was, but I knew it couldn't be good. An icy pit began to form in my stomach as I inched closer to the figure; please don't let it be who I think it is, please don't let it be-

Dana.

There he was, standing ramrod straight against the wall, hands behind his back like an officer observing his brigade. His steely eyes slowly scanned the room, and I could almost picture him deciding how close six inches actually was. His scrutiny radar stopped for a moment on a place towards the back of the room, where most of the freshmen had gathered around a table. I knew without a doubt what he was looking for: Penny.