Chapter 16, Part 2: Penny's POV

I was officially ungrounded. Was I happy about it? Hell yeah—it was about time that my stupid "temporary curfew" came to an end. Had I learned anything from being grounded for three weeks? Not really—other than the fact that sitting around in my room everyday after practice and for three weekends in a row was extremely boring. Did I plan on getting grounded again anytime soon? Absolutely not—I'd probably go stir crazy if that happened!

And yet, as sick as I was of being home all the time, and as excited as I was to have my freedom back, I found myself walking through the front door of my brother's house after soccer practice got let out earlier than usual (since we had a big game tomorrow against a rival school).

"Cooper?" Dana called from the kitchen as I closed the front door shut. "Is that you?"

"No," I said as I walked into the kitchen. "It's me."

"I didn't expect to see you here for dinner tonight," Dana said.

"Really?" I said as I squeezed past him to grab a nice and cold water out of the fridge. "Why not?"

"I figured you'd want to eat in the dining hall with your friends since you haven't done that for a while."

"Now why would I do that when I can have your delicious cooking instead?" I asked as I sat down at the kitchen counter.

"Alright what do you want?" Dana said as he stopped chopping vegetables and looked at me.

"What do you mean what do I want?"

"I know you too well, Penny," Dana said. "I know when you want something from me."

"I was just complimenting your cooking. Can't a girl pay her brother a compliment without being judged for it?"

"You didn't come in here just to tell me that my cooking is delicious, did you?"

"... Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"No."

"Well then that's the answer to your question."

"You're no fun, Dana."

"Flattery is not going to get you anywhere with me, Penny," Dana said, "so why don't you just spit it out—what do you want?"

"Okay fine." I started tracing the lines of the white marble countertop with my index finger. "I was just wondering if, since I'm not grounded anymore, and it's been well over a month ..." Dana raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms against his chest. "I was just wondering if I could maybe have my phone back."

"I figured you wouldn't waste any time asking for it," Dana said with a smirk as he walked around the counter. "I'm surprised that you didn't ask me during school today."

"Well I assumed that you kept it at home," I said as I followed him out of the kitchen. I was hoping that him giving me my phone back would signify that everything was now good between us. I pretty much knew that the only way I'd get my phone back would be to ask Dana for it myself, and what better time to do that than before family dinner when he was (hopefully) in a good mood about me showing up to eat with everyone. "Plus I figured you'd say 'no' if I asked during school."

"Well you figured right," he said as I followed him upstairs. Once we got to his room, I waited at the doorway as he walked inside. I wasn't surprised to find that my second oldest brother's room was perfectly clean with not a speck of dust on the dressers or an ounce of dirt on the carpet. Dana also liked to label everything he owned—why I didn't know—and stuff in his room was no exception. I was ninety-nine percent sure that even his label marker had a label! "You can come in," Dana called as he opened one of his desk drawers.