Chapter 2

Our past is a great part of us. It makes us who we are and influences our future decisions. It's our past that leads us to our future and it's also the one that keeps us stuck in the same place, when past demons arise.

"You guys know each other?" Jayden asked and I stood up from my chair before slapping Chris on the cheek and I sat on a different chair. I wasn't a violent person but seeing Chris ignited a fire in me that just wanted to bite his head off, I was so furious.

"I take it they know each other," Ben chuckled while eating his bacon with an amused expression.

"What the hell was that for?" Chris questioned his voice laced with anger. As if he had the right to be angry.

"Eight years Chris, eight long and painful years," I yelled and his face became apologetic.

"I am sorry Lola I didn't mean it," he explained but I was too pissed off to hear his explanation.

"You know what Chris; you left me when I needed you the most. What the hell happened to being best friends forever and never leaving no matter what? I needed you when you left and I hoped you'd call to hear how I was but apparently you were too busy doing something else you forgot me," I continued yelling and he tried to explain but I cut him off saying, "I want you out of my house now."

He grabbed some bacon from my plate which made me slap him a little too hard on the arm and he walked out in a huff. Not caring about the tear that was flowing on my cheek I decided to get out of the mansion and visit the garden. The beautiful scenery was calming and I smiled to myself as I inhaled the scent from the different flowers. I found a hammock and laid in it trying to get my thoughts together.

As I kept swinging I then realized it wasn't Chris coming that made me overreact. It was the fact that he symbolized a part of my past I didn't like reliving and that scared me. His presence made me vulnerable and weak because he knew me inside and out, more than I liked.

***

"Can I take your order?" asked the waitress and I shook my head and I impatiently waited for Brenda, in case you're wondering who Brenda is here is a flashback...

The blaring of my alarm clock made me wake up and head to the bathroom. I made myself a bubble bath before stripping myself and getting in. The bubbles and the warmness of the water relaxed me and for a moment I forgot all my life problems. I was brought back to reality by Rosie, the caretaker who was in her mid fifties and was quite a cheery lady. A few gray hairs colored her hair and a few wrinkles too. Her face showed she was beautiful in her days and she still was. Her smile was also warm which made me try not to snap every time I saw her and I had known her for a day.

"Good morning miss, sorry to interrupt but there's a call from a Brenda Henstridge and she wants to speak to Mr. Henstridge but I didn't want to interrupt him as he is having breakfast with his friends." I frowned wondering who the Brenda Henstridge was before taking the home phone from her.

Me: Hello? (Brenda sighs)

Brenda: Let me guess, you're the new booty call

Me: Excuse me?

Brenda: She's also blonde. I meant are you the girl my brother is currently playing around with?

I nodded and my mouth made an o as I realized it was his sister although I didn't know Jayden had a sister. Then again I didn't really care about things to do with him.

Me: No, that would be someone else not me

Brenda: Who are you exactly? Me: Your future sister in law. In case you didn't hear the news, your brother is engaged to be married.