Chapter 12

"What the hell are you doing here?" I demanded my tone sounding cold.

"Well hello to you too Lola," Matt responded with a smirk I felt like wiping off. After everything he had done to me when I told him about getting married to Jay he acted so cold I didn't recgonise him. He had come back the night at my apartment but after that he had completely blocked himself out of my life claiming he wanted to give me space to be with my husband and try marriage life with him.

I was about to snap but was interrupted by Eva who came in running while mumbling an apology. Jay then nodded before motioning for all of us to sit. The food was served in the tense environment which Eva tried to lighten with a joke which was pretty funny but I was too mad at Jay for inviting Matt to laugh.

We all ate dinner in a tense and silent environment which was making Eva and Matt's girlfriend whose name I learnt was Maria very uncomfortable. They both tried to make small talk but it was useless because Matt, Jay and I didn't want to talk, we were all infuriated to utter even one word. My glare was on Matt throughout the entire dinner and Matt's glare was on Jay who ended up glaring at me.

The picture I had seen in Jay's office then can back to my mind. How the hell did these two know each other? As dessert was being served I cleared my throat loudly which got everyone's attention.

"Matt how do you know Jayden?" I questioned not caring Eva and Maria were there. I needed answers and today I was going to get them.

"Jayden is my twin," he replied quickly with a blank expression.

How the hell was Jay twins with Matt? I knew Matt's family and from what I gathered, he was an only child.

"How's that possible, you're an only child?" He breathed in and out before thanking the maid who had served him. Now was really the time for him to be mannered. Note the sarcasm.

"Well my parents, Sylvia and Joshua disowned me and gave me up for adoption when I was 10. So I was adopted by my parents who you know and no one knows about it because for the first ten years of my life I was kind of a child who always got sick so I never really went into the public light people so a few people knew of my existence."

I bit my lip and then it hit me, why Matt had acted the way he had when he found out I was getting married to Jayden Henstridge. It must have been hard for him to be the black sheep who was disowned at the age of 10 and had his fiancé taken from him. I totally did not regret slapping Sylvia even though it was for a different reason. She deserved that slap and more.

"I'm sorry," I muttered while playing around with my chocolate mousse before saying, "But why did Sylvia disown you?"

"That's a story for another day; anyway your question was answered." He grinned although I knew it was a fake grin.

"How do you know about my daughter Jayden?" I questioned quickly and he looked taken aback before telling me he had done a background check on me before our wedding.

"So you already didn't trust me?" I glared at him as I talked and he looked bored.

"I didn't but I'm starting to trust you."

"You don't even talk to me; how do you trust someone you don't know?" he looked thoughtful for a second and smiled before saying, "I know the things you do which makes me trust you."

Matt coughed which made me look down after a couple of seconds of looking into Jay's blue eyes.

"Lola, can we talk?" Matt interrupted looking a bit weird and I dragged him to my room while a billion questions ran through my head. I tried to think of everything he could want to ask or tell me.

We quickly reached my room and I slammed the door before sitting on my bed. He sat on the floor his back leaning on the bed. His eyes canned my room which was painted cream, with a huge king sized bed in the middle of the room. There was the door to the toilet opposite my bed and just beside it was the door to my walk in closet. There was my huge vanity at the end of the wall and a hanging leather chair. There were also lots of lights and chandeliers that filled the room and made it really bright and white.

"Come here." he patted a spot next to me on the floor and I sat down with a sad smile thinking of all the times we would sit down on the floor and talk all the time.

We didn't have a reason for it; it was just something that we did out of habit.

"You need to stay away from him." I didn't need to ask what to know what he was talking about. I knew it was about Jayden.

"Why? What do you know that I don't?"

He was looking at me with an emotion I couldn't quite decipher even though I knew him more than I knew myself. Matt then smiled at sad smile before saying, "Jayden is dangerous and he'll stop at nothing to get what he wants, even it means killing you. It would be good for him considering he'll finally be rid of you. You can't trust him and my family."

"How dangerous are they exactly? Everyone keeps telling me to watch my back but from what and who?"

I was going insane with the warning I was constantly receiving. Who was I going against exactly?

"I can't tell you yet but what I can tell you is the people who Jay and his family work for are capable of a lot of destruction."

I didn't understand a thing. What the hell had Jayden gotten himself into?

"You need to tell me or I'll go insane. Between the letter and the possibility of Vanessa being alive, I'm going to go crazy and I need answers!" I yelled while glaring at him.

Matt ran his hands through his hair and cursed loudly. I continued to glare at him with no intention of lowering my gaze.

"I can't do that but what I can do is warn you to stay the hell away from the Henstridges, they can't be trusted."

I pulled my hair in frustration as I tried not to strangle the life out of him. The secrets that were surrounding me were almost choking. I couldn't continue living knowing that the people that surrounded me were plotting something and I couldn't trust them. Living here in the dark was like watching a horror movie; I would be on the edge of my seat through it all.

"If you aren't going to tell me then get the hell out of my house," I growled and he nodded before whispering, "Just promise me you'll stay away from him."

I ignored him and opened the door so that he could leave. He gave me a sympathetic smile before walking out leaving almost in tears until I Jayden clear his throat and stride in the room making the tears disappear and anger surface.

"Aren't you supposed to be entertaining your guests," I spat with a glare directed at him and he glared at me back.

"My brother doesn't think you should trust me?" Jayden stated although it sounded like a question and I just shrugged.

"Should I trust you?" He shot me a glare before looking down. Wasn't he going to answer me? "Jayden what are you hiding from me? What exactly are you capable of that I'm being warned about better yet what am I supposed to be wary of? I need to know because I am going insane."

"I'll tell you when the time is right and when I know I trust you. I'd like to get to know more about you so can we try being best friends, who knows I might just let something slip." He winked at the last part and gave me a smirk causing me to give him a weird look.

He was right, eventually he would let something slip and now all I had to do was look for an opportunity to let him spill the beans.

I put out my hand for him to shake which he shook while mumbling, "Friends?"

"Best friends," he responded with a smile.

I felt like I had just made a deal with the devil but I had to do whatever it takes to get answers. 

Please Vote, comment and share