Chapter 6

I was lying on my bed with my feet raised up while listening to music on my headphones. Chris and Ben were occupying themselves with a chess game while talking which meant I was bored and alone. I was thinking of everything and trying to piece it together into a perfect puzzle called the truth. A lot of people didn't like Vanessa so if she was still alive, a lot of people could have faked her death. I couldn't accuse the Henstridges because a few people knew about her. Her pregnancy had remained a secret just like her birth and pregnancy.

My parents, Cameroon, my grandparents and my other cousins had disliked her for ruining my life and reputation which meant the list to cross on who could've killed her or who didn't was long.

My thoughts were interrupted by Jayden who had barged into the room looking angry. Scratch that, he was always pissed off about one thing or the other.

"Why were you not answering my calls?" he growled and I removed my earphones while giving him a shrug. Even through the loud music I could still hear him loud and clear.

The reason was I didn't want to talk to him but I told him I couldn't find my phone. He just shook his head before shouting at me about his mother. My face stayed neutral as I watched his lips moved while I remained listening to my music not listening to the rant. What was new anyway?

"You know what Jay; I am tired of you and your mother. I am tired of being bossed around by you two and you thinking I am your slave. Your mother insults me continuously but there is absolutely nothing you do about it so you know what; how about you marry your mother along with her insults, you sure would have fun," I shouted while jabbing my finger at his chest after I had gotten up from my bed to face him seeing as he kept continuing yelling and yelling.

As I spoke I made sure I was looking at him in the eyes with as much hatred I could master, he needed him to know I hated him as much as he did me. If not I was worse. I breathed in before continuing, "I am a mess because of you, I lack self confidence because of you and your mother and I've had enough. You don't treat me right Jay and I don't tell you because I think you might change but no you get worse every day. There are a lot of men out there who want your position but I stay faithful for what? For you to knock up my maid?" I was breathing heavily now and I noticed Jay's eyes had darkened and his jaw was clenched at how I was speaking at him.

"I am filing for a divorce and the next time you hear from me it will be from my lawyer. I don't give a damn about that contract anymore," I stated before walking away with my headphones. Chris followed after punching Jay and Ben did the same too. I smiled to myself knowing I wasn't alone and some people had my back. I ran to the back of the huge castle where there was a vast expanse of land with green grass. I laid there thinking of the times Jack, Chris and I would stay there imagining how our lives would be when we were adults. Here I was, an adult but my life was nothing like I had imagined it to be. With Matt it was exactly how I imagined it but then it had taken a completely different turn. I then remembered the time Chris was trying to come up with cool quotes people would remember long after he had died. The one that stood out was: Life is like a dance. It can be a delicate dance or a complicated one but it's the choices that you make that determine the kind of dance that will define your life.

My choices had made me this way and I couldn't blame anyone for the turnout of events. I had signed the contract and now I had to be a big girl and take responsibility for my actions. I felt Chris lie down next to me with a sympathetic smile. Ignoring it I looked up to the sky and Chris followed suit. He didn't have to ask how I was feeling; it wasn't the first time I had screwed up and he knew I just needed him and not his words.

***

The next morning I woke up feeling light and happy until I remembered what had happened.

Taking a quick shower I decided to wear black pants and a black crop top with stilettos and makeup which I have to mention wasn't light. I wanted to cover the blotches from the crying because I didn't need the whole world knowing my problems.

I noticed Ben and Jay had already gone out so I decided to go on instagram for a bit before going for breakfast. The knock on the door made me switch off my phone before heading to see who it was. It the girl who looked like me. I stopped breathing for a second and my eyes went wide, I didn't know what to do so I just waved and she smiled.

"What's up?" I asked her and she smiled before saying, "I heard a rumor that Lola Henstridge, the owner of Red Rose is here in this room so could you tell her I want to see her."

I smiled at the eight year old girl in front of me before letting her in. "Well I am Lola Henstridge," I told her and she smiled with her eyes wide open.

"Oh my God, I can't believe I'm standing with Lola Henstridge," she screamed and I laughed. "I love the clothes you design so I was wondering if you'd make a show at my birthday party tomorrow afternoon that way all my friends will never forget I got to meet the famous Lola plus I'll show the cool girls I know Lola Henstridge."

I laughed before replying I would make time. Before she left I made sure to ask her name, I don't know why but I just felt like I needed to know it for some reason.

"My name is Vanessa Collins," she replied before skipping out of the room with a huge smile. Chanting to myself it may be a coincidence she was called Vanessa, I spotted an envelope under my door but I decided to read it later as Ben and Chris were already waiting for me outside.

I noticed they were wearing jeans and tight tops which traced their abs. Screw them being my friends I told myself before putting my hands around their shoulders and leading them to a restaurant to get breakfast. We all ordered French toast and orange juice before deciding to go for a walk. I told Ben and Chris about Vanessa coming and they were unsure and worried about me thinking about her as my daughter. Chris had to answer a call from Brenda leaving Ben and I alone walking over the green plains.

"So what are you going to do about Vanessa?" he asked stopping me and looking in my eyes.

"I don't know yet but I was thinking of hiring a private investigator to look into her death," I replied and he smiled taking my hand in his.

What the hell was going on?

"Whatever you decide I'll support you," he stated and I smiled and nodded looking at our hands. "I also want to tell you that I have to go back to the USA and I don't think I'll see you for sometime so Chris faked a call so that I could say bye like this," he continued and he finished his words kissing me which took me by surprise.

I couldn't believe Ben was kissing me. I was just standing there like a fool before something pushed me to respond. I felt him touch my waist and pull me close to him while continuing to kiss me and I kissed him back with the same passion he had. His teeth bit my lips softly which made me moan into his mouth while my hands ran through his hair. I could feel the passion and thirst he had for me through the kiss. Ben bit my bottom lip ever so lightly cautioning me to open my mouth, allowing his tongue to delve into my mouth with a sense of urgency. I pulled back and he walked away after whispering bye. I touched my lip and found myself smiling, I had kissed Ben and surprisingly I didn't feel bad.

Jayden did not know what was going to hit him this time. Chris had always told me that a man might hate his wife and neglect her but when he would see that someone was doing what he was supposed to be doing, it would hurt him some way or the other and I was sure this was going to hurt him and that just made me glad...

Vote, Comment and Share