Shock

Chapter 15:

Shock:

I jumped up and screamed. The tears started to flow down my face.This couldn’t be happening. The room erupted into chaos around me. Jake stood up and wrapped his arms around me but I shoved them off. I ran out of the room and down the stairs and hoped into my car. I went to get my keys but I couldn’t find them. Great. 

“Looking for these?” A voice from behind asked. I screamed and jumped. Cole was sitting in the back seat. His eye’s were hollow and his face was filled with pain. He had tears running down his face. He threw the keys over my head and I turned just in time to see Alex catch them. I moved over to the passengers seat because I didn’t feel like arguing. He got in and started the car.

“Phones.” Alex said. Me and Cole handed him our phones without question. He turned them off and put them in the compartment between the seats. His phone was already in there. We rode in silence for a few minutes.

“Do you want to go to the spot?” Alex asked Cole. Cole nodded. I was to upset to question it. We drove for a good 30 minutes before we reached a lake. Alex turned off the car and we got out. I followed them for a few minutes before we turned. They looked around to make sure that no one was around before slipping into an invisible crack. I followed behind them and stepped into a hidden cave. We sat down on some rocks and didn’t say a word. 

I’m not sure how long we sat there and I honestly don’t care. We finally got up to leave and it was dark. We walked back to the car and got in. Alex got behind the wheel and handed us our phone’s back. I turned mine on and I had 76 missed calls, 89 unread text and 42 voicemails. All from Jake. I skimmed through the messages and they were all asking where I was and who was I with and if I was ok. I deleted my voicemails. We drove back to the house and when we got there we sat in silence for a minute. It was late but school would be closed until August due to repairs. There would be graduation next week at some place in town. It was only November but our school was far ahead state wise and had gotten permission to graduate early and cut the year short due to the fire. We got out of the car and walked inside. I trudged up to my room wondering why everything bad had to happen to me. I slumped up to my room and shut the door. I flopped down on my bed and cried. 

I woke up the next morning and walked down stairs. I slumped down on the couch and looked around. I spotted the clock and saw that it was nearly 4 in the afternoon. I jumped up and slammed strait into Ty. I fell back into the couch.

“The dead lives!” He said.

“Why did no one come to wake me up?!” I asked.

“We’ve tried. Trust me we’ve tried. Did you know that when your sleeping your really scary?” Ty asked. 

“Oh no. What did I do this time?” I asked. 

“This time?!” Ty asked. 

“Yea. My brother used to be the only person that could get me up.” I said. I smiled sadly 

as I remember the good moments with my brother. Ty laughed. He helped me up and 

we walked into the kitchen. I was almost immediately tackled in a hug by Jake. I looked up and saw that he had a really really bad black eye. 

“What happened to your eye?” I asked. Jake laughed. 

“I have an abusive girlfriend.” He said. I blushed and looked down. Jake laughed. He wrapped his arms around me. I returned his hug. We stood there for a few minutes before we were interrupted by Will walking into the kitchen. 

“Gia, you have a few letters.” Will said. He tossed them onto the counter and walked out. I let go of Jake and picked them up. There were a few from my friend back home and a few from the state. There were one letter really caught my attention. It was addressed to me in the same sloppy handwriting that I had seen a thousand time. I could hear Jake yelling my name but it sounded so faint that it was almost not there. The world around me faded. At that moment in time the world revolved around that letter. I turned it over with shaky hands. I pulled the back up. It had just been tucked in. I pulled out the letter and three sheets of paper fell out. I picked up the first one. It had been addressed to me. It was from Lola. Two days before the accident me and my siblings sat down and wrote each other last letters as we called them. We wrote them in case something were to happen to us. I grabbed the second one and it was from Josh. I laughed as I read it. He had always been the funny one. I took a deep breath and grabbed the last one with shaky hands. I read it and smiled sadly as memories hit. I read through it. I felt like I could see him through the tears. I read the last line.

‘Gia, always remember that you are my best friend and a beautiful person. You help me and stay by my side when no one else does. You put up with my mood swings even when everyone else gave up on me. I love you. - Jake.’

I put the letters on the cabinet. I looked around and saw that I was alone. I walked into Em’s office.

“Em do you have any picture frames?” I asked. She pointed to a box. She was working on her laptop. I grabbed three and put the letters in them. I walked back up to my room and hung them on the wall in plain sight. I heard a knock on the door and Carter walked in. He saw the letters and smiled. 

“I’m guessing that those have a strong meaning?” He asked. I nodded.

“They were from my brothers and sister. We all wrote one to each other in case something happened to one of us. They were kinda of like final words.” I said. I felt the sadness in me growing. In my short 16 years of life I had lost my mom, my dad, my brothers and sister, and my best friend and I had watched two of them die and one go crazy. I felt the tears welling up in my eyes. Carter wrapped me in a hug. We stood there for a few minutes before some girl that I had never seen before barged in.

“Who the heck are you?!” She demanded. 

“Umm. I’m Gia Brown.” I said.

“Well Gia Brown what the heck are you doing hugging my boyfriend?!” She demanded.

“Um he’s comforting me.” I said.

“Why?” She demanded.

“Because I lost my family and best friend!” I said with tears running down my face.

“What about me?” Someone asked coming into my room.

“ROSE!” I yelled as I tackled her into a hug.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys! Sorry for any typos! My cat decided to be an author! Well as I said I would update once I got 100 reads? Well when I posted that I only had 85 reads. I uploaded this and went to check my email. I came back to this page. I was literally off this page for thirty seconds. I came back and I had one hundred and five reads and I hadn't even started this chapter! I went to start on this chapter when my laptop died. Keep reading! Oh! And this chapter is dedicated to KatieRistau for all her support! Thanks!

           Lots of Love,

                                 Me!