Chapter 5

You arrived with a fish. You hoped that it would be a good enough peace offering for it. If not, well, it was time to start planning your funeral at last. You were surprised that hadn't already happened, honestly. 

You looked around and didn't see the dragon anywhere. Of course, as usual, it was always where you weren't looking. You heard it behind you. You slowly turned once again and it was there a few feet away from you. You backed away a bit, perfectly aware that this dragon was dangerous. 

You offered it the fish. It slowly crept toward you, but it growled when it spotted your whip. You tried to grab it, but it growled louder. You swallowed and slowly tried to grab it again. You then dropped it and kicked it away. It calmed down and came up to you again. 

As it opened its mouth you saw that the snake-like fangs were tucked in and you could see the glands on either side of its head where its two long pincers were hidden. It snatched up the fish and you let go just in time, otherwise your hand would've gone with it. Then it walked toward a plant. You gasped as you realized what kind of plant it was.

"Wait! That's Nightshade! It's poisonous!" It looked at you for a moment, but then it turned back to the plant and chomped it down. You were stunned. "You eat that?" It came back over to you and sat down. It's long legs looked kinda cute when they were tucked in like that. 

You got to thinking. It is a highly poisonous dragon....maybe that's why it can eat Nightshade.  "Hmm...Nightshade..." You said, the ring of the word striking you as satisfactory. You looked at her again and smiled, making up your mind. "Nightshade, that sounds like a good name. Can I call you Nightshade?"It tried to copy your smile. You chuckled at the funny face she made. "I'll take that as a yes."

*Later at the Watchtower*

"...And with one twist, he took my hand and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face. I was delicious. He must have passed the word because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg." Gobber said, gladly telling his story around the fire. You weren't really listening. Your brothers were around you while Hiccup was alone with a bored look on his face.

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it, you could have killed the dragon from the inside by...crushing his heart, or something." Fishlegs said.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" Snotlout growled. 

"Un-unh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." You heard that part and realized just how bad Nightshade being on the island was. I have to help her get out of here before it's too late. "Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?"

"It's gonna be me. It's my destiny. See?" Tuff said.

"Your Mom let you get a tattoo?" Fishlegs said shocked. 

"It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark."

"Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before," Ruff said.

"Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now." Tuff argued. You were the only one other than Arrow that noticed Hiccup leave. You saw that nobody was watching and you took off after him. You caught up to him and said,

"Hiccup!"

"Gah!" He yelped in surprise. He turned and spotted you and calmed down a bit. "(Y/n)? What are you doing here?"