Chapter 6

You came back the next day and Nightshade looked up as you arrived. You brought her fish and she ate them, as always. She loved when you brought fish. After yesterday, however, you made sure not to grab eels.

After a little bit, you got her to go through the stretches you'd come up with. She was hesitant at first, but she went along with it. Her curiosity had gotten the best of her. 

"Okay. Pretend my arms are wings." She stood up and watched you. You moved your arms up and down slowly. After a moment she copied you. You smiled, pleased. You moved your arm in and out to simulate her stretching her wings. She did the same and cheered a little. 

"Good job! Okay, if you practice doing that for a few minutes while I'm away each day and do it with me when I come back, then we'll be able to slowly start flying."

"Rar!" She let out a tiny roar in reply. You were glad that she was starting to warm up to you.

"Alright, I gotta go. Bye Nightshade!"

"Rar!" She called as you left. 

Over the next two days, Hiccup had been showing some surprising skills. You noticed how he was doing it and you wondered how he knew that. Some of the things he was doing seemed weird and nothing about it was anything you'd seen before. 

You were starting to experiment with his ideas on Nightshade. You brought some Dragon Nip to Nightshade. She loved it! You played with her happily. She was becoming a lot more friendly to you. And every new trick you learned from Hiccup made it even better!

One day, you were going through the stretches again, but she looked bored. You were concerned about this. She hadn't been like this before. She suddenly stopped and curled up in the cave, looking sad. You frowned, feeling bad.

"You okay, Nightshade?" She just glanced at you and let out a tiny whine. You understood what was wrong pretty fast. "I know, you wanna fly. It'll just take time." She huffed and you frowned. You began to hum a song and she listened. Suddenly she began to make noise and 'hum' along. You two shared a weird duet and then you got up. "Better?" 

"*Dragon like purring*" You smiled, relieved. You wanted her to be happy and free, but it was taking longer than expected. You both were also really starting to bond. You weren't looking forward to saying goodbye. She was honestly a very magnificent creature. You had a much deeper appreciation for her kind now. Still, you cared about her the most.

"I'm glad you feel better now. I have to go, okay? See ya tomorrow, Nightshade. I promise." She watched you go and you waved goodbye as she let out a goodbye roar in response.

On the way back you heard a roar. You went to investigate. After making your way along, you soon found a big indent streak in the ground. The tree was busted up and broken and the dirt path lead straight to a quaint little cove. 

You began to climb down, looking around in wonder. You hadn't spotted anything yet. Then, about halfway down the rocks, you froze as you saw something big and black moving not far away. You gasped as you realized what it was. T-that's a N-Night Fury!! 

It hadn't spotted you yet. You carefully watched it while hiding on the rocks you were on. It had...human gear on. Your curiosity began to overtake your fear. What? Where did that come from? Who made that? What is that stuff even for? It looks like...some sort of saddle. But that's...impossible.

Suddenly a rock came loose and you screamed as you fell the whole way down. You tumbled hard, your body gaining bruises quickly. Before you knew what was happening, you hit the ground and blacked out for a few moments. 

Everything was spinning and your body hurt. You groaned as you started to collect yourself. Well...that was pleasant... Suddenly you felt a wet squishy substance run across your face.