Chapter 8: New Home

It was too cold to walk, too cold to move. Peter felt like he was lying on a soft, smooth freezing powder. He barely had his eyes open, but he could see everything was white and grey. He reached out and touched some of the white powder. Snow.

He couldn't remember what really happened, only that he was with Nicholas, Judy and Monica in the park when the mysterious light appeared in the sky.

Peter felt giddy and his body was stiffened but he was able to clamber on his feet. He hugged himself tightly. Covering his hands under his sleeves.

"Nicholas! Judy! Monica!" He yelled, turning his head left, right, back and all over the place. But he was wreathed in this grey fog. He lifted his arm at the level of his eyes, protecting them from the snowflakes in the wind.

As he started to walk, his feet sank deep into the snow, inviting the snow inside his shoes. It was getting colder by the second, and Peter wasn't wearing any warm clothes.

How did I get here? Where're Nicholas, Judy and Monica? What happened to them?

Peter cried once more, hoping that someone would answer him. His pulse was racing from the panic.

At last he heard footsteps. Peter turned around but saw no one. The footsteps were getting louder and quicker, but where were they coming from? He kept on wondering until he spotted something forming in the fog. He peered at that blurring black figure, growing and closing in.

A huge monster almost knocked Peter off the ground, but Peter leapt out of the way in the nick of time. He looked back to see that the monster was actually an ox. Peter never saw an ox as big as a truck, nor he'd seen see one with four horns on its head. One step from its massive hoof could squish Peter like a bug.

The furry ox turned back to Peter. Peter pulled himself up and ran as fast as he could, but the deep moist snow kept slowing him down.

His foot must've hit something hard before tumbling and then rolling like a log downward until his hand caught on something thick in the snow. He was laying on his stomach, but he couldn't feel anything under his feet, nor under his legs.

The fog slowly faded away. Looking over his shoulder, he was lying on the edge of an infinite cliff. The thick branch protruding from the snow was the only thing holding him, but for how long?

"HELP! Someone please help me!" Peter cried, his voice echoed.

He tried to pull himself up but the snow was too fragile, it shattered under him and his weight pressured the branch to...

Snap!

His body was freezing from the cold wind blowing through his hair and body while his throat was drying out from screaming for his life. Everything had stopped and he felt something... someone grabbed him from his wrist. A man... a woman, floating?

"You should really watch your step." She said with that cheeky grin.

A short woman was flying with her hand gripping his. Peter recognized her immediately. It was the same golden-haired woman he saw in his dream, wearing the same clothes and the very same grin. Judging from her physical appearance, she seemed to be in her mid thirties.

"Who... are you?" Peter was mesmerized.

"My name is Ama Hollingberry." Said the woman. She spoke with a fluent English accent. "Welcome to your new home."

"What?" Peter pulled his brows together.

"I'll show you." Said Ama.

She flew up high in the sky, pulling Peter by his hand. Peter shut his eyes tightly from the wind. Suddenly, she stopped.