Chapter 31: The Dream

Nicholas awoke in the treehouse, surprisingly feeling nothing but a migraine. The pain on his limps was gone, he was expecting to wake up in agony, but assuming Alexandra used her healing power to take away that pain. He pulled himself by his elbows and gazed around. He was back in the treehouse, laying on his hammock and alone in the room that was lit by the fireplace. 

He felt something hard in his hand, and when he opened it, his eyes widened in shock.

The Emerald Gem was sitting in his hand. But he never found it during the challenge, and he didn't know that he won the challenge or failed. How did it get there? He asked himself. 

He was pulled out from his thoughts by sudden faint noises of what he assumed to be footsteps against the wood. Part of him knew it was his friends and rulers. I mean who else would it be? But still, it didn't mean that he let his guard down. He cautiously climbed down from his hammock, and silently tiptoed to the staircase down to the rulers' room. But the noise wasn't coming from this roo, so he kept climbing down until he reached the dining room. 

'It's him.'

'Be quite'

'Get ready. And..."

"SURPRISE!!"

The room shined immediately from the fire of the chimney and the candles all around.  Monica, Peter, Judy, Alexandra, Ama, Sirus, Whiterose and Sunray were all standing behind a large and long table, with a huge and lovely decorated cake lit with ten candles. All applauding for the young Earth prince.

"Congratulations, Nicholas!" The king cheered proudly. 

"Thanks." Nicholas said, looking bemused. "But why? I mean. I didn't win."

"Of course, you won." Sirus chuckled. "You fought bravely and managed to protect the centaurs, like a real prince of Earth."

"But what about the gem? I mean... how?" Said Nicholas, showing the emerald gem between his fingers.

"It was with Sirus." Peter pointed at the king.

"WHAT?" Nicholas exclaimed!

"We warned you about your challenge being different from the others." Said Ama, smiling. "Your challenge was about capturing every troll. After then, you'll be rewarded with that gem."

Nicholas stared at them blankly, unable to think of any word to say to them.

"So we made this small surprise to congratulate you." Said Sirus. "And I must admit that I'm very proud of you." The king approached the prince and put his hand on his shoulder, squeezing it gently. "For performing the shield and to finally found forgiveness."

The only time Nicholas had a surprise party was when he was in the army, but there was only drinking alcohol, cheering and fighting in bars.

This was no doubt his first and real surprise party where everyone had a smile instead of a broken lip. Where all were cheering instead of fighting. Where all were celebrating for Nicholas.

Tears welled inside his eyes, Nicholas turned, not daring to let them see. He leaned his arms against the wall and rested his head on them. He made a small gentle sob.

Is he crying?  Peter thought. He never ever once saw Nicholas crying. 

"Nicholas?" Said Alexandra worriedly. "Nicholas, dear, what's the matter?"

"Nicholas," Said Sunray, gently turning him to face her.

His eyes were filled with tears, his smile was beautiful. Regardless of that frown he had, he was happy, he was finally smiling with such joy.