Chapter 4: The unexplainable incident

Judy resumed her chores. Monica didn't show up for any of her chores. Something was definitely wrong with her.

It was free period time. Judy went out into the garden for some fresh air. She sat under the same oak tree next to the pond. Watching the calm water was one of her favorite activities.

She exhaled heavily, "Monica where are you? Ow!"

Something fell on her head from the tree. "Hey, Judy. Up here."

Judy tilted her head up. Monica was sitting on a large thick branch holding a handful of chestnuts.

"What're you doing up there?" Judy jerked up to her feet. "Do you know how long I've been looking for you? Get down from there." She ordered firmly pointing at the grass.

"Okay, ma'am." Monica jested. Before climbing down, she dropped all of the chestnuts on Judy.

"What did you do that for?"

"I didn't know where to put them, so I dropped them." Replied Monica sarcastically, shrugging with a smirk.

"You didn't have to drop them on me!" Shouted Judy.

"Oops, sorry." Said Monica, sitting down on the trunk of the tree.

Judy picked up a few chestnuts and tossed them on Monica one by one.

"Hey, what're you doing? Cut it out!" Monica laughed, covering her head with her hands.

"How do you like that, huh?" Said Judy, giggling.

"Hey, come on! Stop it, will ya?" Monica chuckled.

"Not until you say you're sorry."

"Okay, okay, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry!" But Judy didn't stop until she ran out of chestnuts.

After a breather, they both sat down next to each other.

"Where were you all this time? You missed some work."

"I was harvesting with some other girls, over there." She pointed at the vegetable garden up the hill.

Judy also wanted to know what happened with her to cause her to flee from the canteen without a word. But she didn't.

Monica let out a gasp when she felt the strands of her hair dancing in the wind.

"What is it?" Said Judy.

"Shh. Listen." Putting her finger on Judy's lips.

She remembered that day when she heard the voice. The voice of a boy named Peter Wilson, at least that was what she heard. She had never forgotten it. She'd been thinking about it since that day, even though thought it was just an illusion.

'Dear God, please help Nicholas. He got into another fight this morning. He attacked him, and nearly killed him. I was the only one who saw it, Nicholas went mad. Please forgive him, please God, he's my friend. Please, help him. Peter Wilson.'

Monica and Judy were amazed, confused and a little scared. Monica could hardly tell if it was real or not, but she felt that someone was sending them a message. The garden was full of children and teenagers and once again no one else had noticed the voice.

"What was that?" Said Judy gazing at the sky.

"I'm not exactly sure." Replied Monica.

"How did you know it was gonna come?"

"I heard it once."

"When?"

"Maybe a month ago. A month and a half. That day when Angelina burned my book."