Chapter 20: Vows

Monica wept feebly, her fingers between her hair and her head down, staring at the grass while biting her lower lip. Her heart jumped to her neck and her skin was numb. The moment she heard her name, it echoed in her ears. Her eyes were drowning in tears that were impossible to hold back after hearing such horrifying news. She felt nauseous. At that moment, she imagined Virginia's dark face and red-blood eyes. And her steel sharp sword swinging and then stabbing her through the heart. If she had managed to injure Sirus, Ama and Alexandra as they said nineteen white moons ago, then she could kill Monica with a single flame arrow.

"Why her first?" Nicholas snapped. "She didn't do anything!"

"Neither of us." Replied Sirus calmly. "And neither did those girls. But we found out that if Virginia manages to kill us all, then there will be no more balance in nature."

"But..." Judy trembled. "You will... protect us. Right? I... mean, you won't let her hurt us?"

"Darling," Alexandra cooed, comforting Judy as she pulled her head to her chest. Rubbing her back while rocking her gently. "Of course we are. We would never let her hurt you. We will always protect you no matter what happens. You're always safe with us here."

"Monica," Said Sirus gently, kneeling in front of Monica. Her eyes were pinned to the floor. Sirus rubbed her tense shoulders. "Look at me."

Monica slowly raised her head and stared into his strong green eyes.

"We promised Eve and ourselves that we'll protect you and educate you all. And I promise you this, no matter what happens, no matter where you are, we will always be there to protect you." Said Sirus, wiping Monica's tears with his thumb.

Monica sniffed and nodded.

"However," Said Sirus seriously to everyone. "In order for us to succeed, there are two conditions. First, you have to obey us and do everything we say without questioning."

"And the second?" Said Peter suspiciously. He had a hunch on the second one.

Sirus sighed and said, "You have to accept the combat training."

Nicholas and Peter knew that Sirus would propose this once more. Nicholas was the only person between Monica, Judy and Peter who knew how to fight and to use a mortal weapon. Yet that was in the human world. In Firainth, there were no guns, nor grenades nor any of these related weapons.

"What?" Gasped Judy silently, pulling away from Alexandra. "But... we can't..."

"Judy, listen to me dear," Said Alexandra. "It is impossible for us to protect you if you can't protect yourselves. You, everyone one of you, have a special power that needs to be controlled. If you let us train you, it will be easier to protect you if you can defend yourselves. And furthermore, you can even help us stop Virginia from attacking our kingdoms."

"Children," Continued Ama. "One day you will take our place as kings and queens. And the first role of a ruler is to protect his or her kingdom. How will you manage such a role if you can't defend yourselves? Right now, you're princes and princesses. You also have this role. Even if Sirus, Alexandra and I are more trained than you are, we can't do this alone."

"We're only asking you to use your powers for justice against evil." Sirus added.

There was no doubt about it. How could the king and queens protect them if they could barely defeat Virginia all together? After what Monica saw at Mount Vatra, Virginia resisted Ama's arrows, and barely succumbs to Ama's wind. But could she resist Sirus's or Alexandra's as well?

"Please, help us." Alexandra begged.

Nicholas looked as if he was about to explode from rage. He scratched the back of his hair with one hand. "Give us two days and we'll tell you." He said, trying to remain calm.