Chapter 19: Treachery

The image of the people and creatures and their miserable, cold faces haunted their minds all the way back to the treehouse. Upon their return, they sat in their beds, where Monica shared hers with Peter.

Sirus was standing against the giant trunk in the centre of the room. Ama was sitting with Nicholas on his hammock, and Alexandra was sitting next to Judy on her bed.

For a long while, no one uttered a single word. Until...

"Who's Virginia?" Said Nicholas with a low dark voice.

He was aware that Virginia was actually the queen of Mount Vatra, but he also knew Virginia was someone strong and evil. He and the rest of the children wanted to know more about her.

"Do you recall, children, the story of Eve and Firainth?" Said Sirus, walking around the room.

Everyone nodded slowly.

"And do you recall us telling you which age the child that is chosen is forced to come to Firainth?"

"Twenty-five?" Peter guessed.

"Close. Twenty-eight." Replied Ama.

"And none of you noticed something wrong?" Sirus stopped walking and faced the children.

Now that he mentioned it, yes, something was wrong. It wasn't at the age of twenty-eight the children came to Firainth, it was at forty-seven.

All four looked at them with such stupefied eyes.

"Yes, children." Said Alexandra. "It should have been nineteen white moons ago."

"But..." Trembled Judy.

"Why?" Said Alexandra. "Is that your question?"

"Yes."

"It happened nineteen white moons ago," Began Sirus. "The day when we had to perform the ritual to bring you here. It can only be used by the four elements of nature combined. If one was missing, then it would be pointless. We weren't as strong that day as we are now. But before that day, Joan... no... Virginia, that's her real name. The queen of Mount Vatra. She was kind and gentle, and would never hurt anyone under any reason. She used to help the ones who needed her aid. She was the closest friend we ever had... she was family." Sirus paused, his tone deepened. "But that day... that terrible, cursed day..."

* * *

"Virginia is late," Said Alexandra. "Is she not?"

"Indeed she is." Sirus wondered. "She's never been this late."

Sirus and Alexandra were on the centre of Firainth where there was nothing but a giant field of green grass. They were alone. Even if it was a sunny day, the air was cold during Hivofroi. Both were wearing robes. Up in the sky, Ama flew down and landed next to Sirus.

"Any sign of her?" Said Sirus.

"She's coming." Said Ama happily and panting. "I can't wait to see them." She grinned wildly. "I wonder what they look like!"

"We'll know very soon." Said Sirus, reassuring.

"There she is." Said Alexandra, pointing up in the sky.

A human-shaped fire swopped down like a lightning bolt. It landed in front of them. A woman appeared. A tall woman with long red her hair and red eyes.

"Virginia!" Beamed Sirus. "Great to see you, old friend." He hugged her as she hugged him back.

"Hello, Sirus, Ama, Alexandra." Said Virginia with a low, sagely solid voice.