Chapter 6: True Past

The news of Monica and Judy's sudden awake spread like wildfire throughout the orphanage in less than half an hour. All the girls wanted to see them, but they weren't allowed. Each time they tried to get inside the infirmary, they would easily get kicked out by the nurses.

With the permission from Mrs. Sarebary, Amy went in the infirmary the next day, carrying a wooden tray with two plates of eggs, bacon and tomatoes, two forks and knives, and two cups of hot chocolate. The girls woke up the day before starving as they had little to eat. Once Amy served Monica and Judy, they began eating without leaving anything, anything whatsoever, and gulfed down the chocolate drinks.

"How was it?" Asked Amy while removing the plates.

"It was delicious." Judy sighed happily sagging down against the pillow.

"Very!" Monica inhaled. "The hot chocolate was good, too."

"Thanks, I made it myself." Said Amy. "With a little help from the chef." She added, smirking at the corner of her face.

Monica snorted, wincing from the pain on her cheek.

"You need to take the medicine young lady." Said Nurse Nicole to Monica.

She took out a medicine bottle from the cabinet along with a spoon. Monica twitched her face at the sight of that dirty brown liquid pouring down on the spoon. She hardly opened her mouth. The taste was revolting and it burned her tongue and throat, causing her cough.

"That's a good girl." Said Nurse Nicole, pouring more of that awful thing on the spoon. "Now, it's your turn." She turned to Judy.

Judy hesitantly took the head of the spoon in her mouth and swallowed. She covered her mouth, blocking her cough.

"Luckily I don't have to drink it." Amy laughed.

"Yeah, lucky." Said Judy gulped.

A sudden sharp pain shot through the left side of her head and into Judy's damaged eye. She grunted, caressing the bandage with the tip of her fingers.

"Don't touch it." Nurse Nicole gently pulled Judy's hand down. The white cotton was now smothered in tinge red blood.
"I have to change it now. Don't touch it anymore." She ordered and headed to the cabinet.

"Oh... why does it hurt so bad?" Judy sounded frustrated, clenching her teeth so hard her jaw throbbed. "What happened to my eye?"

Nurse Nicole looked over her shoulder with questioning stare.

"You mean ... you don't remember what happened?" She said.

"No. No I don't." said Judy shaking her head, relaxing her jaw.

"Anything at all?" Persisted Amy.

"Well," Said Judy, concentrating on her memories. "I do remember Tom pushing me in the pond and trying to drown me. But that's all I can remember."

"What about you, Monica?" Said Nurse Nicole heading to Judy with an ointment bottle and a clean thick cloth. "What do you remember?" she said while taking a seat on the edge of Judy's bed.

"I... I don't know. All I remember is that something hit me and then nothing." Said Monica.

"Are you sure?!" Said Amy, quite desperately to get the answers.

"What is it with you?" Said Judy, getting annoyed. "Why are you asking so many questions?" She winced again.

"Wait a minute!" A flash of memory just came to Monica. She remembered seeing Tom, with a knife in one hand and choking her with the other. "Where's Tom?" She asked quickly.