Chapter 16: The maps

The next morning, everyone went to the training ground on the other side of the wall like every other day. Monica and Judy went with Alexandra to train near the empty pond. While Judy was busy refilling the hole, Monica was collecting some branches and rocks for the fire. The fire was lit, the pond was full.

"Do you remember what skill I'm going to teach you today?" Said Alexandra.

"The manipulation skill." Replied Judy.

"Exactly. I want you to imagine the form of what you want your water to appear like."

"Sounds easy enough." Said Judy, hopeful.

"It may sound easy, but it's not." Put in Alexandra. She then turned to Monica. "You have to do the same. You must think of a happy memory or feeling and imagine the form. Only you must focus on the fire's warmth."

Monica nodded.

"You may choose the form you wish. One only for now. But before you start, call the elements to you." Alexandra sat on a boulder.

"How?" Asked Monica.

"Call it from your heart," Said Alexandra, tapping her chest. "Remember, those elements are a part of you. Wherever you are, you can call them whenever you want. Like this." She opened her hand at the level of her neck and stretched her arm out. A small amount of the water in the pond flew out and made a round shape on Alexandra's palm.

"You see?" She tossed the water back into the pond. "Now you try it."

Monica placed her right hand in the direction of the fire and Judy placed hers toward the pond.

Both of them called in their hearts, 'come to my hand. Come, come, come to my hand.' Their hands vibrated, the feeling crawling up to their arms. The fire was flickering and the water in the pond was rippling lightly simultaneously.

"Keep going."

The fire flickered wildly now before part of it flew up and onto Monica's hand. The water streamed up from the pond, shaped like a ball, and floated to Judy's hand.

"Now focus on the form you want it to become."

Monica was attempting to turn the flame into a star, while Judy was trying to morph it into a triangle. At the same time, trying to chose a memory.

Judy found one. It was about the night when she revealed her true past to Monica. Monica was reminiscing of the days when Judy helped her overcome her fear of fire.

The water in Judy's hand was having trouble morphing until finally it settled in the form of a triangle.

"I did it! I did it! " Judy cheered victoriously.

But she spoke too soon. The water exploded and splattered all over her face.

Monica coughed but it almost sounded as if she was snickering. Alexandra giggled silently.

"I really thought I did." Said Judy, sounding disappointed, waggling the water from her hand.

"Don't worry. If you don't succeed the first time, try again." Said Alexandra rubbing Judy's shoulder.

"And next time, try not to splash all over you." Monica chortled.

"Well, if you're that good why don't you do it yourself?" Judy snarled, placing both hands on her waist.

Monica was speechless. Judy had never used that kind of tone with her before. She put her hand on Judy's shoulder. "I thought it was funny, but..."

"Actually, it was kind of funny at first." Judy admitted with a smirk.

Monica requited the smile.