Chapter 27: A Flurry of Wings

After the battle, Monica Judy and Peter were rushed back to the treehouse where Ama and Alexandra warily recovered every sharp leaf from their bodies. Alexandra hadn't used the Recovery power on their deep wounds, she wasn't allowed to anymore. They needed to learn to get use to the pain. It was cruel and unfair, but it had to be done. Yet, within two days the wounds were healed, not a single scar was left. Alexandra explained about the battle between Sirus and Nicholas, and how it ended with Nicholas turning himself to stone.

It was one of Nicholas's power: the Calxia Statua.

It could turn anyone to stone for a short time to keep them imprisoned. It could also be used on oneself. Nicholas felt very guilty and miserable so he decided to punish himself and imprison himself from the world.

The end of the dead season was near. Two days before the challenge, Nicholas was still a statue. Sirus couldn't remove him out of the hole, it was Nicholas' will to stay. Sirus stayed by his side day and night, watching over him. Judy and the others would come by and watch over them at times. But they were never allowed to come down and sit beside Nicholas. They never blamed Nicholas for what happened. They knew one day Nicholas would act like this.

Nicholas never felt pain, nor hunger, nor thirst, only the pain in his memory and heart. It was quiet, dark, cold and empty. All he could see was his memories, all he could hear were the cries of Monica, Judy and Peter. He never felt like this before, but he knew if he had turned himself to stone it would make him feel alone and he would think very clearly of his actions. It felt really good to be a stone. A stone was always still, almost dead. It was the only way to find salvation. The only thing missing was forgiveness from the people he tortured.

One more night left before Peter's challenge.

Peter couldn't sleep. All day he had been studying eagles with the help of Monica and Judy. Everything was simple, except, killing one of them would result in failure.

"I thought you know their weakness." Said Monica, laying on her bed with a book in her hands.

"I read that book more than a hundred times. I memorized everything." Said Peter, sounded frustrated.

"Then why are you reading it again instead of sleeping to be in good shape tomorrow?" Said Judy, also laying on her bed and closing the book. "You're nervous about the fight?"

"I'm not nervous about the fight. I'm nervous about seeing my mother and father again." Said Peter, and dropped the book.

It was forbidden for the children to the 'families' again until the challenge. It was one of Eve's laws.

"You know they are not your real parents." Monica reminded.

"I know. I can't help it. They look very identical to them." Said Peter, slowly landing down.

"Now that you've mentioned it. I'm really nervous too." Admitted Judy. "And I'm worry about Nicholas, though, everything seems very quiet without his yelling." She added a smirk.

Peter and Monica chuckled in agreement.

The day had finally arrived. The challenge would begin at exactly noon, up in the sky.

Peter woke up alone in the tree house. He anxiously searched the entire tree house and found no one. He was beginning to be a bit frantic until her heard the Wind Queen's voice.

"Forgive us for the absence Peter, but we had to leave to prepare the challenge for you. Monica and Judy are here with me. So are Alexandra and Sirus and Nicholas. Be prepared Peter. I'll send some angels to guide you to the arena in the sky. May the forces of the wind be with you."