Chapter 22: Astrumaurora

Going back to the house was easy and fun. They went back inside the same trunk, and instead of climbing up, a powerful wind blew from underneath them and levitated them until they reached the tunnel to the study room. The humans and half-breed creatures had the same method to go back to their homes, except the trolls and the giant serpents and the rest of the sea creatures had to stay underground where there was a lake for them. Some of the wind creatures remained as well.

The next day at nightfall, the children were a little nervous. They were waiting patiently for Sirus, Ama and Alexandra to come up from the study room. Monica and Peter were standing in front of the door from the training ground. Judy was sitting on the staircase, while Nicholas was pacing across the room with an impatient expression on his face.

"Oy! Are we going to go training or not?" Yelled Nicholas, eagerly from the staircase.

"Yes, we are." Replied Ama from the dining room.

"Then what are you doing down there when we're all here waiting for you?" Said Nicholas annoyingly.

"We should be asking you the same question. What are you doing up there when you should be down here with us?" Sirus chuckled.

What? What was Sirus talking about? Down there, when the door to the training was here? They were a bit confused but they went down to the dining room.

"Aren't we going to use the tunnel to get to the training ground?" Said Judy pointing up.

"Oh, we don't need to go through there now." Replied Alexandra, gently with a smile. "We're using this one." She added.

Sirus opened the trapdoor and jumped in it.

Everyone jumped in and when they reached the ground, it was covered in snow. They followed Sirus, through the cold snow, to the wall instead of a house where there was another entrance to the training ground.

"Whoa, whoa! Where are we going?" Said Nicholas alarmingly, stopping Peter, Monica and Judy from taking any step forward. "I thought you said we're not allowed to go through the wall."

"That's correct, you're not allowed to go through the wall, alone." Sirus corrected, his eyebrows up.

"And we thought you said that we can't train outside the wall because of Virginia. So why are we going there?" Said Peter, shrugged.

"It's a surprise." Alexandra smirked, waggling her eyebrows.

Sirus used his powers to open the wall. Snow fell from the branches as it moved. Sirus, Alexandra, and Ama walked through it, stopped and looked back. The children didn't move, looking almost paralyzed from fear.

"Trust us. We promised to protect you at all time and we never break our promises. And besides, you've been outside that wall before and nothing happened to you with us around." Said Alexandra gently.

She had a point, as long as they stayed with the rulers.

They walked a few miles away from the wall. Everything was dark, cold and almost quiet. At least they had the blue full moon for light.

Sirus suddenly stopped. "Here, it's perfect."

There was nothing around except for the dark silhouette of the trees. They looked like tall skinny giants about to attack them.

"I want you to listen carefully now," Said Sirus, turning to the children. "The reason why we didn't bring you down to the training ground was that this kind of training can only be done here."

Monica, Judy and Peter nodded slowly. Sirus kneeled, brushed away some snow and he placed his finger on the dead grass. She mumbled something before ground was suddenly quaking. The four children held each other for support. Alexandra and Ama looked as if nothing was happening. The trees were moving... shrinking... going back into the ground, even the rocks and the branches. Everything was gone. They were now standing in the middle of an empty area with nothing but snow. The sky was clear to see but...