Chapter 7: Great Godmother News

I tiptoe into the room, and turn around. There is a long hallway, in the entrance of the room, so they didn't see that I had walked in. On a wall I see a tv that is playing Nick Jr. I walk farther into the room and see the woman resting in the hospital bed with a sleeping girl with her arm in a sling next to her. Cindy sees me and jumps a bit. She makes a pained face from the scare, but Anika remains asleep. Cindy has a confused look on her face when looking at me but after a couple of seconds she recognizes who I am am looks at me with kind eyes.

"Are you the girl? If you aren't then I might need my brain scan a bit earlier." she asks. I try to bite back a laugh because of the sarcasticness in her voice, I can tell that she knows who I am.

"Come here." She says, I abide and walk up next to the bed on the opposite side of Anika. Cindy gently grabs my head in her hands, like a old woman would do and softly says to me.

"Thank you." she looks into my eyes with the most sincere look I've ever seen. "Thank you for saving my baby." I look at her with a confused expression. Did she see me, give CPR to her child?

"I saw you save my baby. She was thrown out of the car, and you saw her. You were able to get her breathing again. Because of you my baby is alive. Even though she might be a bit broken." She says pointing to Anika's sling. "But I'd rather her be sitting here with a broken arm. Than sitting in a coffin 6 feet under. For this you are her hero as well as mine. I'd like to remain in contact with you so she knows why shes alive till this day, if that's okay." She says reaching for her phone on the side table, but instead letting out a hiss in pain. I go to reach for it but before I can grab it, I hear the door slam open.

My attention goes toward the long hallway, when two very large men, with their guns clutched at their sides, come into the room.

"What's going on here?" Cindy asks.

"We saw this girl on the security monitors searching through the clipboards on the outside of the rooms. When she looked at yours she looked around the hallway suspiciously and walked in here." The buffest of the two informs Cindy.

"Well she's not doing any harm so you guys can go now." She tells the men.

"It's not that simple ma'am. You guys are on a family only visitation. Unless she's family she's gonna have to go." The tallest man says.

"Well," she says looking at me. "She's Anika's Godmother."

Godmother?!

"Go- godmother?" I ask my voice cracking.

"Yep." Cindy smiles still looking at me. She looks back to the large men. "As you can see she's family. Thank you for your concern though." After that they give each other a confused look but disappear down the long hallway and eventually I hear the door lightly shut.

"Were you just saying that so they would leave the room?" I ask.

"I'm serious. I wanted to get to know you even better but obviously you cared enough to search through all the clipboards just to see how we were, so you're her godmother. That is if you want to be..." She says looking at me.

"Of course," I say in shock.

"Great,"she says. "Well, thank you for checking up on us but right now I'm supposed to be asleep." She says winking.

"Maybe you could come by in the morning." she says.

"Yeah, hopefully." I say walking towards the long hallway. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight..." she stops for a second. "Oh my god!" She says. "I never learned your name." She says astonished.

I laugh, "My name is Ellie. Goodnight, Cindy."

"Goodnight, Ellie..." She says and I walk into the long hallway. I walk out into the hallway. I walk to the elevator, it's a very slow elevator. It takes at least 5 minutes for it to reach the 2nd floor. I click on the 6 button because that's the floor that Chance is on. It takes about 4-5 minutes to get onto his floor. I start to walk to his room, when I see doctors around the door. I walk forward to see what's going on. I can't get through because people keep pushing me back. I finally have had enough and pull a doctor to the side to ask what was going on.

"What happened?" I ask

"His heart stopped beating," the doctor informed but left afterwards to try and get in to the room.

I think at that point my heart stopped too.."